NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Silly NEQ6 Pro mount question

Hi all, this is going to be the most silliest questions ever asked and deserves to be right up there.

When I've got the mount all set and balanced and ready for Observing and star alignment, do the RA and Dec clutches need to be loosen up or do I need to lock them so that the Sync Scan remote can do its thing?

Clutches need to be locked, in fact they should always be locked when you aren't holding the scope as when they are open the scope can suddenly swing possibly hitting the tripod or toppling over.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it is easy to make expensive mistakes with all the complicated kit so not a daft question really.

The motors should only get upset if the scope gets stuck or you are grossly imbalanced. Most likely you would just strip the gears and you can just consider that a good time to do the belt mod ;)

/Dan

once its all PA'd and balanced, if your aligning with the handset or EQMod you can loosen the clutches on the first star when the mount stops slewing point the scope at the star manually get it centred then lock the clutches, all being well the next star should be close and once centered and synced all stars or dso's from then on will just need a slight adjustment to centre and sync after maybe 4 syncs it will centre all dso's as they say " Spot On" ...

Well it is easy to make expensive mistakes with all the complicated kit so not a daft question really.

The motors should only get upset if the scope gets stuck or you are grossly imbalanced. Most likely you would just strip the gears and you can just consider that a good time to do the belt mod ;)

/Dan

You won't strip the gears - the NEQ6 has stepper motors which are pretty resilient to any jamming and will just chatter away, unlike servo motors which could burn out.

Archived