Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Obsy Up & Running

D4N

I have got my obsy operational now and all set up for wireless operation.

It is a flip top design with a platform built around a steel pier set in concrete.

b8075a6fc75a1f1f9af60907948fbcc7.jpg

When open the lid doesn't cause any obstruction as I already have a large hill on that side, whilst this blocks much of my western horizon it does give excellent shelter from the prevailing wind.

dad267e7589ebd414fc747d15ce85e02.jpg

The pier adaptor I built myself out of some scrap aluminium. I machined it down to be an exact fit for my mount.

The pier is a bit overkill for this setup but will be good for if I decide to go long focal length in the future.

d5094049edcc5bc96c0e14b788a0cfac.jpg

Inside I have 4 x IP54 220V power outlets with an isolator.

I have my imaging laptop set up in a plastic box along with the power supplies for the the laptop and camera. The laptop is set up to stay on when the lid is closed, I can then VNC onto it with my iPad or Mac to control everything from the comfort of my house.

f9c4e73d3be742091a2ffd392450c0cb.jpg

The laptop is actually on right now building a dark library. It doesn't overheat in the box as it is sub-zero outside.

Now I just need some clear skies to use it. Last night looked promising but the cloud rolled in as soon as I went out.

The whole lot could do with another coat of paint but it is too cold here to paint now so that will have to wait until next year.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all.

Yeh I considered lift off, fold down, roll off and flip, I went with flip as I think that will be the easiest to operate with it being located on a steep hill. I think roll off would be very tricky here, I would need to fit heaters to the rails to de-ice them if I went that way.

Forecast shows a whole week of cloud now, I hope it is wrong.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived