Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone modified a compact digital camera?

Aussie Dave

Have been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering if anyone here has modified a compact/pocket digital camera for astrophotography?

Is it possible to do it without destroying a digital camera and would it still take photos and videos with the lens assembly removed?

Any info would be great.

Generalising here, it must be possible because Gina strips DSLR's down to the minimum, and somehow they still work......

The firmware might freeze if it doesn't get feedback from the lense.

Is it worth doing though?

Compact cameras have webcam-sized sensors crammed with pixels, so are fairly insensitive, noisy at high ISO, usually don't go past 30 seconds exposure, no remote shutter release.

For planetary videos might not be too bad.

Michael

I also think it should work but it may depend on make and model of the camera and if it does in fact need communication from the lens for the auto focus like you say Michael.

Planetery should be ok, lunar should be good, DSO's would be pushing it due to the noisy CMOS sensors yes but this again would depend on make, model and sensor, much like the webcam mods, some are good, some not as good. You would need to find out what sensor it has.

I do have a spare compact camera but taking out the lens mechanism looks tricky. You may also need to disable or modify some of the curcuitry to bypass the auto focus function and to get the compact to take the shot or video. It may be better to try to take just the lens out of the mechaism and keep the rest working in there, as long as you have good focus, it will take the shot. Most compact cameras will still take a shot if it hasn't focused on the subject, all the one's I've had have done that at one point. Taking just the lens out, I can't see there being any problems. Something to think about here.

Dave there are adjustable clamps for compacts and camcorders that you can buy, which I'm sure you've seem for sale online, about $20US. You were thinking about buying one? The latest offering looks ok but the tests I've done imaging through that little glass lens affects image quality, mostly around the edge of the photo. Some may be better though, I've only tested 3 compacts over the EP in the last 3 years.

There are many second hand markets and garage/yard sales here in Australia on the weekends as well as second hand shops where you can usually pick up a compact digital camera for $20AU or less. My last purchase was a Sony Cybershot 12mp for a 10'er. I always see them having another life on the end of a telescope.

Well I pulled apart a Fujifilm A170 10.2mp compact and it seems that the focusing mechanism is a completely seal unit. Not as easy as I thought. I'm wondering if they are all like this in design. I decided on this one as it has more manual settings than the Sony.

I'm not sure if I want to pull apart the Sony now.

I have stripped a couple of old compact cameras with zoom lenses. Based on that limited experience I’m in impression that they are a bit difficult to get work without lenses due to the micro switches that detect zoom issues. So camera may start without the lens, but it goes to error mode are shuts down. Also the compact cameras are built with very high precision so handling those small parts is more difficult than larger DSLR parts.

Devil's Advocate here, but why would you want to? 2nd hand DSLRs are very cheap now. You can pick up a 40D for £129

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5MGxBRDiuZm2icXX2-sBEiQA619bqxciBpvkKVFo3Zg2peWZekmUlRmU_hdNzcuhY1BwdVQaAlvZ8P8HAQ

Getting the lens off a compact won't be easy, and would almost certainly cause the camera to stop working or throw up errors. Even if it did work, then how would you mount it? It'd be highly unlikely to have a nice T-thread available. Then you'd have the problems of control-programs like Backyard EOS make focusing and framing a breeze. Try focusing on a tiny compact camera screen in comparison. Then add in trying to set up a night's imaging.....can you program a compact to take 20 x 60 seconds exposures by itself? Or are you going to have t stand beside it hitting the shutter button (and making the whole thing wobble)?

Many compacts also do not have a bulb mode, so you are limited to the maximum exposure time- often 30 seconds.

Even if you manage to get the lens off without killing the camera, you manage to get it attached, you manage to get it focused and you manage to get an exposure plan going, it all sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Save yourself a load of hassle and buy a cheap second-hand DSLR. If money is tight, then sell your compact and buy a DSLR with the proceeds. Taking it apart will either mean that you kill the compact (leaving you with no camera) or you generate a whole host of other issues.

I have stripped a couple of old compact cameras with zoom lenses. Based on that limited experience I’m in impression that they are a bit difficult to get work without lenses due to the micro switches that detect zoom issues. So camera may start without the lens, but it goes to error mode are shuts down. Also the compact cameras are built with very high precision so handling those small parts is more difficult than larger DSLR parts.

That doesn't sound promising Herra. It was a fiddly, little job, mainly the 2 mini ribbon cables getting them back in, jewelers loop job and steady hands.

Devil's Advocate here, but why would you want to? 2nd hand DSLRs are very cheap now. You can pick up a 40D for £129

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5MGxBRDiuZm2icXX2-sBEiQA619bqxciBpvkKVFo3Zg2peWZekmUlRmU_hdNzcuhY1BwdVQaAlvZ8P8HAQ

Getting the lens off a compact won't be easy, and would almost certainly cause the camera to stop working or throw up errors. Even if it did work, then how would you mount it? It'd be highly unlikely to have a nice T-thread available. Then you'd have the problems of control-programs like Backyard EOS make focusing and framing a breeze. Try focusing on a tiny compact camera screen in comparison. Then add in trying to set up a night's imaging.....can you program a compact to take 20 x 60 seconds exposures by itself? Or are you going to have t stand beside it hitting the shutter button (and making the whole thing wobble)?

Many compacts also do not have a bulb mode, so you are limited to the maximum exposure time- often 30 seconds.

Even if you manage to get the lens off without killing the camera, you manage to get it attached, you manage to get it focused and you manage to get an exposure plan going, it all sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Save yourself a load of hassle and buy a cheap second-hand DSLR. If money is tight, then sell your compact and buy a DSLR with the proceeds. Taking it apart will either mean that you kill the compact (leaving you with no camera) or you generate a whole host of other issues.

Why would I want to? Because they are cheaper than used DSLR's. I'm not making a comparison to a DSLR more a webcam but better. Taking simple avi movies, even single lunar shots.

It would be very easy to destroy a compact by trying to modify it for sure. If someone had a few laying around and wasn't worried if they killed them or not, it would be interesting to see if it's possible and someone having success, and then seeing some results.

I'm just talking about taking the small glass lens out and nothing else, keeping all the rest of it in there. With the attempt on my Fujifilm today, I don't think it's possible with that one.

Older cameras had CCD sensors and two of mine have quite large ones.

I have a small Canon handheld camcorder with a CCD sensor happy-kat that's about 5 years old but it's just too good to butcher, even though it doesn't get used.

The possibility was more the point I was trying to get across here or if it had been done, a WIP thread perhaps.

How do you think the Phillips webcam mod started. But I'm not making a comparison of a webcam to a compact digital camera.

I never did like easy.

Here's a couple of threads that might be of interest:

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3409.0

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8801.0

Unless you're really handy at electronics and the inner workings of cameras you're probably best using the compact for afocal or wide field photography. I tried removing the lens from a Canon Powershot A470 and it's no longer functional!

The firmware (CHDK modifications) can be changed for some Canon compacts allowing for longer exposures and other functions, but I'd leave it alone.

I do use compacts for astro imaging but they are still fitted with the original lens. CHDK modifications give canon cameras some extra flexibility if you could successfully remove the built in lens.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Good link that, bookmarked!

I did have a PowerShot some years ago. From memory it was an S series 8mp, non removable front lens. It was a good camera but it chewed up battery power, 4 AA's.

Archived