Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem for English observers

The Warthog

I was just looking at some of the statistics for England (Ulverston) and my home, and noticed that, at the summer solstice, it never really gets dark in England. There is no end to astronomical twilight. In my environs, we have four hours between the end of evening twilight, and the beginning of morning twilight. It may sound like a silly question, but do you notice this, really in summer observing?

I got thinking about this when I made my comment about the other night, going inside to wait until it got properly dark...

Yes WH, the English do have to suffer a very short night through out the summer, even a sky that isn't truely dark.

Up here I don't have that problem, just near enough 24 hours of day light for the months of june / july and twilight from april to end of august.

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/skynotes/archive12.htm There is a piece about half way down the page on twilight here in Orkney.

nabban

Archived