Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

where can I find if a DSO is visible, or only for H alpha?

Gerhard

Hi all!

I am kind of frustrated that I cannot find any source of DSO info that specifies if an object is visible in visible light, or only when putting on certain filters (like H alpha).

The other night I took some subs of IC410, but nothing showed up on the stack... Wiki also does not specify in what bands it emits...

Is there a site, or other source that specifies this info?

For now I only have an un-modded DSLR to shoot subs with, so I need to know if something will show up or not...

help!!

:-)

Gerhard.

Hi Gerrard,

You have started with a faint one. IC410 is tricky and while will showin Ha, it is a visible light ojdect as well, it is just not very bright. Any planetarium software should give you the visual magnitude of an object, as will catalogue lists. This will tell you how bright it is, and also what type of object it is. Emission  nebula or instance by its nature emits light, and that light will nearly always include the Hydrogen lines. A bit of resaerch on AstroBin will show what results can be achieved in the other filters. Reflection nebula are different and will only include the reflected light, so tend to behave better as LRGB objects, but again, looking at what others have done will be the best guide. There are various websites like dso-browser.com (although that misclassfies IC410 actually looking it up) and others which help in the target selection process.

My personal first port of call is Stellarium to do the target framing/FoV with my setup along with basic info on brightness etc, when it is imagable. I then doa bit of research on the target using astrobin to see what others have achieved and blackwaterskies to see what it looks like with various options. As for which narrowbands to go for, I go with actual images taken by others as a guide.

Happy hunting, the research is a surprisingly rewarding part of the hobby I find.

you might have some luck by googling a target followed by rgb (eg IC410 rgb) and look at images however, this will only allow you to see if rgb works, it may not show you if your set-up is capable of the required subs needed or the fov.

I don't know if there's a "one stop" site that will tell you everything but a little research will tell you what you need to know. Also a few questions here at sgl prior to an imaging session may save you from a nights heart ache :)

Archived