Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moonlite Motorized Focuser....Fitting ???

I ordered a Moonlite Motorized Focuser from FLO at around 14:15, since then have had a dispatch notification and a E-mail from DHL saying its getting collected for delivery tomorrow, so all's good so far, has anybody fitted one of theses to a CR2 Focuser anything i need to know before i start the installation.....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-high-res-stepper-motor-with-miniv2-controller.html

It arrived in the afternoon, i ordered the one with the "Newt - With Shaft Lock" as i have 2 Moonlites and this one set-up on the Dobb so the imagine set-up could stay as is until the swap over, so opened the boxes all the bits were there a set of fine allen keys come in handy, its really a simple assembly remove a focus knob, attach a bracket to the stepper motor slide the stepper motor on to the vacant focus spindle insert 2 Allen screws through the bracket front on back tighten the bracket to the stepper motor and tighten the allen screw in the stepper motor focuser, that it job done, the silver knob in the photo is a slip clutch undo this and the normal 10 - 1 focuser can be used tighten it and the stepper motor does the focusing, the USB lead is 1.8m long,i have ordered a 3m one to run straight to the back of a PC, power is a mains adapter with a lead, i will make up my own to run from a 13.8v supply, no software its on the Moonlite site ascom or stand alone, i won't get it install for  a few days but it looks very good.........

20151014_192823.jpg

20151014_192839.jpg

Glad to see you trail blazing a path that I have embarked on :grin: . My Moonlite for my 250px is on order, with a plan for the motor focuser at some point in the new year for longer FL imaging with my 414ex! Looking forward with great interest in your experiences with this, as I have a Lakeside for my ED80 which is great and makes the stock focuser behave like a much more expensive one, but will be interested to see if your setup can do absolute positioning rather than non-repeatable, relative, 'autofocus each time'-type focusing that I have to do with my current setup, because absolute, repeatable focusing would make things significantly faster and easier and open up a lot more opportunities in terms of data gathering (R,G,B,R,G,B type sequences).

Matt

Manual focusing with the handset and a Bahtinov mask is just pushing button while seated at the PC, the challenge now is finding some software that's not more expensive than the motorized unit to run in a autofocus mode, Ascom see's the Focuser...

I have run SGP and when it came to autofocus it didn't seem to do this, the program is priced nicely, i will run through it again this afternoon to check it out again, what is required, Slew and autofocus, take a image, change filter, autofocus, take a image, rinse and repeat every time the filter changes, i am happy to buy this software if it does this......

I have it so it runs an autofocus routine every filter change and certain temperature drop (and after a meridian flip), but I gather all data for a filter before moving to next one because the autofocus can take a little while and would be unrealistic doing single sub then filter change. With a more accurate repeatable focuser with no backlash (and I am hoping the Moonlite is one of these), I would find out the step differences between focus for my various filters in the FW (which can then be saved for future use) and then on filter change, the stepper motor would simply move the required number of steps. An autofocus routine could be run periodically in the night to ensure everything remains accurate.

And if you haven't used it before, the Center feature instead of Slew seems like magic.

• 2 months later...

Would it be possible to get an update on your Moonlite and it's motor focus system? I am considering replacing the rack and pinion on my Stellarvue with the 2.5" Moonlite and their stepper and controller. Quote an expensive upgrade and trying to make an informed decision.

The Moonlite by itself is nice a smooth, the the stepper motor fitted and a Bahtinov Mask its quick and easy very accurate, no movement of the scope due to the handset, works with Ascom 100% not had a chance to try autofocus but i can't see as there will be any problems...I think its money well spent....

Looks nice as well...

DSC_1720.jpg

It is just stunning when mounted with that Atik.  I am sold, just need to collect the funds and get it shipped to my double secret Post Office box like I did with my 460ex.  No need to concern the wife with such a purchase.  I was able to talk the Moonlite guys today and Ron was just a wonderfully honest.  He said what his products can and can't do. And since I'm not mounting a 20 pound FLI on the back of it, the merely pedestrian SXFW and 460 will hold focus at zenith without issue.  The autofocus routine will be fun to figure out. APT has a autofocus function I guess I will start there.  He said many Moonlite owners will keep the focuser when they upgrade optics and merely buy a new adapter plate for the new scope.  I was worried about the Crayford design and there are many posts around the world tauting Rack and Pinion as superior.  He described the tradeoffs of both designs.  Now the only question is what color......

Archived