Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mixing mounts

I've just posted a wanted ad for an EQ5 tripod  to try and stiffen up my EQ3-2 mount but I wondered if my mount would also  fit on a Celestion CG5 tripod as that will help open up my  chances of getting something suitable within my budget.

The CG5 tripod is compatible with the EQ3-2, EQ5, HEQ5, AZ-4 and Skytee I and II mounts. They are taller than the standard EQ5 / HEQ5 tripods and have 2" steel tubed legs just like the Skywatcher EQ6 does. All made by the same manufacturer.

Heavier but quite a bit steadier than the 1.5" and 1.75" steel tubed mounts.

IF each of the tripod legs are made up 3off square section aluminium box, to make it a lot heavier\stifer it is possible to fill each of the legs with concrete made up from quick setting cement, sand and sharp gravel...

IF each of the tripod legs are made up 3off square section aluminium box, to make it a lot heavierstifer it is possible to fill each of the legs with concrete made up from quick setting cement, sand and sharp gravel...

I think people normally just fill them with sand as that will dampen better than concrete and is ultimately reversible as you can take the sand out if you decide to sell it ;)

That won't alleviate the flexture present in the square section tripod legs though nor strengthen the locking brackets that have a tendency to break.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived