Cleaning a telescope

If you go ahead do it carefully and slowly and read up first.

IPA should be available, try a small chemist, they seem easier to talk to in order the obtain it.

Not sure of surgical spirit, so I would suggest not trying it.

I bought IPA from a chemist who was a bit "unsure", they relented when I quoted them the chemical formula of it. They seemed to think I might therefore know about it.

The second chemist simply asked if 500ml was enough or did I want a litre.

Easier to try to Baader fluid I suppose.

Eyepieces tens to get crud trapped at the edges so they are worse to clean.

What is the scope by the way?

Hello I am looking to clean my telescope and eyepieces very soon as needed. I would like to know if surgical spirits from boots  is ok for the job sadly 

isopropyl  seems to be pretty hard to find off the shelf in parts of the UK

No! Surgical spirit is adulterated ethanol, often with oil (castor oil ) - it will leave a film on the optics.

Chris

It depends on the scope but for a mirror I would use nothing but lukewarm water with a little washing up liquid then rinse in tap water then distilled water. For lenses either a lens pen or proper lens cleaning fluid applied with a microfiber cloth.(dont get any fluid near the edges of cemented lenses)

Alan

Thanks but i want to make up a solution of my own 50 50 dis stilled water and isopropyl but sadly seems hard to find

Without wishing to sound rude or disrespectful but your reply above begs the question. Baader W fluid is well respected and seen as the choice weapon when cleaning ones eyepieces. It will have been tested on a range of material, glasses etc. So What is it that you feel you can do better than them with regards your own preferred concoction. Or am I missing something here.

Steve

John sometimes sellers are stopped at post offices for attempting to send items.  Sometimes the Customs Hydra(:)) also raises it head.  Best to check at both ends if purchasing on-line.

Sometimes there's a simple misunderstanding of what can be sent and how.  That stated, I'm not aware of the current requirements for RM for transporting alcohol.

michael

John sometimes sellers are stopped at post offices for attempting to send items.  Sometimes the Customs Hydra( :)) also raises it head.  Best to check at both ends if purchasing on-line.

Sometimes there's a simple misunderstanding of what can be sent and how.  That stated, I'm not aware of the current requirements for RM for transporting alcohol.

michael

I get 100ml bottles of IPA from my high street pharmacy, no problem.

Chris

Archived