NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sun 25-Sep-2015

maltrabob

Hi all, yesterday I tested my C9.25 for the first time as my solar filter finally arrived. LiveView looked nice and sharp but after transferring images to my PC I was disappointed. The focus was not good at all and so wasn't the contrast between disc and sunspots. Will need to play with exposure and sensitivity settings of my digital camera. The Sun was a real cloud magnet yesterday during my imaging session and I only managed to use 1/100 @ ISO100.

C9.25 + Canon 1100D prime focus + Astrozap Baader Solar Filter

IMG_3143_small.jpg

C9.25 + Canon 1100D prime focus + Astrozap Baader Solar Filter + Baader OIII (with some circular patterned dirt on it)

IMG_3148_small.jpg

Any advice regarding my camera settings for a single shot images and also is the quality affected by the grade of my solar filter as it is only ND5 version for visual use and not the ND3.8 one for photography? Cheers.

Those are good first images. Your focus doesn't look that far out to me.Suspect you need to drop your exposure a bit, the live view image should be really quite dark. Have a look here for more advice.

I use ND5 film for imaging with my Canon 1100D and it works fine (I did find that I struggled with my OIII filter in the imaging train). With my Evostar 120 exposures of around 1/3200 and 1/4000 sec are quite common.

Good luck

Archived