NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CTB1 SNR (HST palette)

ChrisLX200

Think I'm done with this for a while but I'm still not happy with the star appearance. It's such a dense star field in this area I was forced to reduce them otherwise the nebula tends to disappear, I may try to add some RGB stars later but that won't be easy with this one. 

Scope: Televue NP127is @ 660mm f/l

CCD: Atik490EX @ 1x1 binning

Mount: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II

Guide: Unguided

Filters: Astrodon 3nM (Ha, SII, OIII)

Data: 12 x 30min Ha, 12 x 30min OIII, 10 x 30min SII (total 17hours).

CTB1%20HST%20001_zpsttijps76.jpg

ChrisH

Looks good Chris, even if you're not happy with the stars!

Have you tried using the Straton star removal tool to remove the stars, then process the nebula, then add the stars back in later (reduced in intensity) to see if that helps?

Regards

John

Thanks John, but I doubt Stratton would help with this one - and I do have that program. This is in a densely-populated part of the Milky Way and using 30min subs captures a lot of them :-)

ChrisH

Hi Chris

Great image.

Question - How do you manage 30 minute exposures unguided ? The best I can do with guiding is 3 minutes!

Cheers

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Joe, that's one of the advantages of the 10-Micron mount, with a good all-sky model and absolute encoders to work with it will track (using dual-axis tracking) very accurately and seemingly indefinitely at this focal length. Might be more of a struggle with a longer focal length scope though. I don't need to plate-solve onto target either, a slew is all that's needed to be within a pixel, and it achieves the same accuracy following a meridian flip. All the subs match up perfectly when stacked. It's truely awesome precision and not many mounts will do this.

ChrisH

Very nice target Chris! I've never seen it before. It's on my list now :)

All the subs match up perfectly when stacked. It's truely awesome precision and not many mounts will do this.

ChrisH

This is not a good thing Chris! You should definitely dither using Direct Mount Guiding in SGP. Maybe this is the reason for the noise in the image.

Very nice target Chris! I've never seen it before. It's on my list now :)

This is not a good thing Chris! You should definitely dither using Direct Mount Guiding in SGP. Maybe this is the reason for the noise in the image.

A fair point and something I should look into. I tried with the G11 but it kept going pear-shaped, maybe I can get it to work with this mount.

ChrisH

Archived