Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A useful guide to "Seeing"

Fascinating read - I had to laugh at the bit where it said that viewing is best when mist or fog forms :shock: - haven't seen it like that before :angry:

Nevertheless, very informative and explains why it's like looking through a bowl of soup here in Chester :(

Hi Martyn

Most scopes are used upto x25 per inch as an average magnification. To really see what is going on then as Carol says you needto be pushing higher than that.

At the Hanwell observatory in Oxfordshire Chris Taylor frequently pushes his scope to x825 which is x66 the aperture.

Sparrow In the UK there is usually a fairly obvious trad-off between seeing and transparancy and if it is fine detail you want to see then you want stable air that usually means mist.

If it is faint fuzzies you want then you want the air to stay clear but this probably means that it is more active (wobbley) so the fine detail is harder to see.

Just occasionally the seeing and transparancy are both good and it never ceases to amaze me how much the scope can show.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks both for the info. My shortest FL eyepiece is a 9mm ortho so I'm not getting anywhere near the magnification needed to see the Airy disc especially considering that my most used scope is only F5 :(

I guess I'm going to have to dust off my Ultima Barlow and give that a workout or, God forbid, try and get my C8 mounted up. I've kind of gone mad in my small back yard and my viewing area is full with potted plants :angry:

--

Martyn

Thanks for the clarification on the formula, Ian. :(

The 'usable' magnification I'd read about probably assumes perfect conditions.

..my viewing area is full with potted plants icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds absolutely lovely, Martyn! :angry:

• 1 year later...
'Nights of high humidity were often good (as many observers say) but not all. Seeing was always good when any fog/mist was present.'

How can that be true?

Because seeing is not the same as transparency. Good seeing means still air, good transparency means clear air - and when it's misty the air is still, even if it isn't clear.

Archived