Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Sept 5th 10" Dob

Space Cowboy

Having another crack at M31 with the Dob. Collected 20 mins of exposure in 15 sec subs last night though the sky was very hazy.

Stacked in DSS with 5 darks. Curves and levels in CS2 and other tweaks in image analyser :

post-4016-0-03946200-1441574878_thumb.pn

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 8

Cheers! 15 secs seems to be the limit for the Dobs tracking. I did try a couple of 20 sec sub's but the stars were looking ropey. A properly clear sky would produce decent results though the focal length does reduce the fov for a large target like Andromeda.

• 7 years later...
6 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Sorry to dig this post up but would I be able to use this setup for the comet? I'm thinking FOV wise?

The FOV would be sufficient to catch it, you won't get the full extent of the tail though as it's quite long - I attempted an image of it the other night with a FOV maybe 1.5x the above and still the tail seemed to go off the edge of the frame. 

Edited by The Lazy Astronomer

2 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

The FOV would be sufficient to catch it, you won't get the full extent of the tail though as it's quite long - I attempted an image of it the other night with a FOV maybe 1.5x the above and still the tail seemed to go off the edge of the frame. 

Cheers!