Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me select EP's for Z10 Dob

Ccolvin968

So it's official! I have a Zhumell Z10 Dob coming in the mail to me. Not sure when, I'm actually very disappointed in the lack of notification and lack of tracking even though I have the numbers. But that's another story. I need some help picking out EP's for my Z10. I only have the Celestron EP and Filter Kit. I used that on my 127EQ which was my first scope. This Dob is my second. Figured I might as well take the leap and add an extra 5 inches (12.7cm) of aperture. I'd like to stay with 1.25" EP's. 2" only if I really have to. I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash. Just some good quality mid grade EP's that I'll be pleased with. I've heard the Astro Tech Paradigms are good ones. It's the same as the BST Explorers or the Orion Epic ED II's. Thanks for the help! 

As nice as the 20mm Nagler is I think it may be a bit more than you would like to pay. Try looking for some Meade UWA series 5000 eyepieces on the S/H market or ExSc 82 degree, I feel these will be better for you in the long run. You don't say what speed it is so I don't know if you will get away without a coma corrector.

Alan

Think I'd ask myself what eyepiece you use the most and consider upgrading that focal length first.

Your scope is reasonably fast so buying quality will make a very  noticeable difference specially if looking at wide fields. IOW best to upgrade slowly buying in one's and two's IMO and adding quality, rather than rushing in and buying a set of mid range replacements that may not offer much of an improvement. 

Just my 2p's worth. :)

I like that idea. So pick out what I'll use the most, then buy two or so at a time. Just gotta do some research on what I need. I'm very interested in DSO's, and planets. Double stars. The whole lot. I'll have to do some research on that end. Thanks much!

I'm in the US and these are both out of my area. Do they ship to me? If not, I'll have to stick to the Meade or other brands easily obtainable inside the US. I prefer fast shipping times. I'm not a patient person. haha

I'm looking at the Meade UWA 5000 series now. I'll probably go with those. I'm assuming these are best for nebula's and other big DSO's. How would they perform on planets? Or are we talking more separate EP's? Would my very beginner Ep's in the celestron ep and filter kit that I already have get me by for a bit for planets?

Looking at the same 5000 series, how are the HD-60's? Obviously a difference in FOV by 22 degrees. They're also more in the price range I'd like to spend right now. Or should I just suck it up and decide which Meade UWA('s) to go for?

So I just got the Meade 5000 Series UWA 14mm and the 8.8mm. These seem to be my most common EP's. I'll just mess around with my older Ep's in the cheap celestron kit until I can get a 20 or a 24mm. I wont expect much though. Very excited to have "real" Ep's now!! :D :D :D

Archived