SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 150p Advice Please.

As has been said the supplied 25mm supplied is OK the 10mm is poor.

I have a 300mm SW Dob, it came with the same pair. I use a 8-24 Baader Zoom which is very good. The Baader Barlow is excellent, very short so you do not end up with a long stack of optics hanging off the side of the OTA.

Otherwise some fixed focal lenght BST and a good quality Barlow. If it is a cheap one then any eye piece used with it will suffer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you guys transport your Dobs around to different locations, Do you leave the Spotter attached and how do you stop it moving around etc?

I have a quite a large car at the moment (Ford Cmax),

Transport seems normally performed by wrapping in a blanket or better an old style rectangular sleeping bag and put across the rear seat. Seat belt is best attached. The base bit goes anywhere convenient.

Leave the finder on, less chance of losing it, and it might just still be pointing at the same place.

Charic, I have gone with  Wex. I hope I have done the right thing.............

.......right or wrong. Your getting the same telescope!

Its the image of the company that often makes or breaks it As you said, their customer service is pants in the eyes of some folk!

My last visit to the Metro, Jessops had some telescopes in their window, reflectors and refractors. fat scopes, thin ones, and  Visually, they all had their eyepieces at the same end of the telescope?

I don't believe they were stored to prevent them ingesting dust! I think someone's knowledge might be a little.....maybe none at all? I just wish I could locate the picture I took!

I  trusted  Jessops in the past for most of my Nikon supplies and  accessories! but  now preferring  Greys of Westminster°

You have to do what's right for yourself. Again there was another independent camera dealer/photographer  ( the name escapes me just now ) who consistently sold the cheapest Skyliner in the UK! how was that possible?  but the deal was genuine and authorised!.

I didn't buy from them, as their postage was too dear for my postcode?  but still recommended them to anyone in England, as they were cheaper than my scope at the time. 

As for the telescope itself. it will have been collimated at the factory, but depending on how many times the box has been shoved around and knocked here and there, will decide if your scope needs much attention when it arrives. The packing for these scopes is quite substantial. My scope arrived out of shape, but no damage to the box? I informed the retailer who apologised. We could have exchanged, but it was a simple fix for me, rather than being  without telescope for a while?

lastly Bazz, why didn't you tell anyone that you had a C-Max? The 150P scope will look tiny in there! mind you don't lose it?  The 200P would have been easier to locate after leaving your house and arriving at your darker site? :laugh:

Enjoy the scope when it first arrives. If you know nothing about collimation, then to be honest, you may not even notice if there was anything wrong in the first place. Just enjoy the scope, starting with the 25mm and working up to the 10mm, after allowing the telescope time to cool if taken outside 

The Cmax is my MIL and I have kind of claimed it lol. smiley-laughing002.gif

Received my Doby yesterday, gave it a go in my light polluted tree lined garden yesterday......................wow, so many stars, :eek:

Nice one, glad its arrived.

Be aware of the Barlow and its capability? They work just fine, but knowing the theory helps a little.

When you insert the 2xBarlow in your telescope, the scope becomes a virtual 2400mm Focal length, f/16 scope.

Remembering how to calculate magnification, for a 10mm eyepiece, the magnification of the scope will be 240x. ( 2400/10=240 ).From this you may have problems with clarity and some dimming, viewing some targets!

Your scopes basic numbers are F-1200 A-150 f/8. As a guide an 8mm eyepiece should give you 150x power.

Using your Barlow on any eyepiece that effectively gives you powers above 150x slowly but surely degrades the image as you push further.

My maximum is 400x on paper! I can use 375x on the Moon, but Im generally 240x or less, but always starting first with my longer focal length eyepieces and working up until I find the best image.

The SW10mm eyepiece is not the best, but with the two supplied eyepieces, the Barlow gives you a range of EPs consisting if 5mm 10mm 12.5mm 25mm. The SW25mm will still be fine, but I would also consider a look through the 8mm BSTStarguider ED eyepiece. Alone, this eyepiece, or any other brand , but in 8mm will give you the 150x capable from your scope. If you Barlow this EP your bang on the limit of your scope, theoreticaly, and probably the weather / seeing wont help, at this power. I would not buy any eyepices lower than 8mm?

HTH.

Thanks for the link Chirac. Seems to get glowing reports and covers all the bases until I can afford some better stand alone EP's. Then again I have just seen a 8mm BST for sale at £35?

PS

I ask this as for many years I have been into AV (audio & video) and seen people with many 100's of pounds worth of  HDMI leads, when in fact a lead costing no more than say £5 is scientifically proven to do exactly the same job, with exactly the same PQ and yet because of purchase justification they would swore they could see a difference. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

An adjustable stool (eg ironing seat) is also a good idea to save your back and relax your observing position. Makes a huge difference - get the ones with crossbar feet which don't sink into the grass.

The 9x50 raci is a very good buy for most scopes. The £50'sh zoom eyepieces aren't the best but they are great value for money when you're just starting out. The Seben has had surprisingly good reports, the Celestron suffers a fair bit of internal reflections - and they all have narrow fov's because they are, after all, zoom eyepieces.

Hth :)

I have the Vixen 8 - 24mm Zoom. It differs in having a lanthanum lens (or 2?) in it's set-up. Other than the lanthanum, which is the 'L' in Vixen LV as it's imprinted on it, it's the same as the Seben. The lanthanum seems to act to give stars a sharp focus all the way to the edge. Even if it didn't, I'd consider it a very good grab-and-go eyepiece that saves carrying a bunch of EP's. It's nothing truly great, but I wouldn't sell it to buy another inexpensive Zoom. The next step up is about 2X the price, except the Vixen offering has gone up in price to about $200. That's £129 about.

Dave

Archived