NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR images rotated help required

alcol620

Hi folks

For a reason I don't understand, my Canon 550d camera decided to record images with 90 degree rotation part way through an imaging session. First 15 or so 300s images were taken and saved in landscape (5202X3465 pixels) and the last 10 of the session were taken and saved in portrait (3465X5202 pixels). No changes to camera settings had been made, simply the scope and rig were tracking the object in the sky. I have auto rotate turned off on the camera.

Anyone tell me why there was a change in orientation and how it can be prevented. I have tried rotating them in Pixinsight and registering them with the others but all sorts of artefacts appear.

Advice appreciated, thanks

Yeah, I get that but DSS ignores it (or corrects it). Also, if the jpg is oriented one way, the raw can be oriented the other.

Louise

Edit: I just checked a random old sub. Both Windows and the Canon DPP editor displayed the raw file in portrait. But going to file->info in dpp says the Picture Style is Landscape. Go figure!

Done a bit more digging on this.

On the laptop where the 550d put the images during the imaging session, the image files are all the same (saved in landscape (5202X3465 pixels). It is only when I transfer, copy, the files to my desktop for processing that the last 10 images get rotated to (portrait (3465X5202 pixels).

Can't fathom why this happens. It occurs when I transfer the files via my Home Network or put them on a memory stick!

I don't want to revert to using DSS as I am just getting the hang of Pixinsight using the trial version. 

Done a bit more digging on this.

On the laptop where the 550d put the images during the imaging session, the image files are all the same (saved in landscape (5202X3465 pixels). It is only when I transfer, copy, the files to my desktop for processing that the last 10 images get rotated to (portrait (3465X5202 pixels).

Can't fathom why this happens. It occurs when I transfer the files via my Home Network or put them on a memory stick!

I don't want to revert to using DSS as I am just getting the hang of Pixinsight using the trial version. 

Hi

What does DPP info say the raw file Picture Style is?

Louise

Curiouser and curiouser. I have downloaded the appropriate codecs to enable Windows Photo Viewer to open the CR2 files. When it does this the images are in the format as taken on the camera. ie landscape (These are the copied ones) so they are copying over from the laptop onto the memory stick and the desktop in the correct orientation. However, when I open them in Pixinsight they get rotated 90 degrees!!!!

Louise Where do I look for DPP, the images are not saved on the camera, they are saved on the laptop.

Regards

Alec

There is usually a bit in the RAW file that indicates what orientation the image was taken in. I sometimes use a hex editor to set them all the same (can't remember which bit, would have to check later).

Have you tried stacking the images without rotating them? I would have thought that stacking the images in PixInsight should be fine, the star alignment should fix any discrepancies...though I could be wrong.

Hi Stuart

I tried registering them, but they seem to change colour and become very blue or very dark. Pixinsight doesn't seem to like carrying out actions on images that are of the same geometry. The process usually stops and an error message appears re not the same geometry.

I noticed that the rotated images are about twice the size in Mbs, 

When the Raw files are inspected on the laptop, where they are originally saved from the camera, they are landscape, on the memory card copy they are landscape, on Microsoft Photo Viewer they are in Landscape, but opened in PIxinsight they are rotated to Portrait

Curiouser and curiouser. I have downloaded the appropriate codecs to enable Windows Photo Viewer to open the CR2 files. When it does this the images are in the format as taken on the camera. ie landscape (These are the copied ones) so they are copying over from the laptop onto the memory stick and the desktop in the correct orientation. However, when I open them in Pixinsight they get rotated 90 degrees!!!!

Louise Where do I look for DPP, the images are not saved on the camera, they are saved on the laptop.

Regards

Alec

Hi Alec

Sorry - DPP is Canon's processing software: http://www.canon.co.uk/support/camera_software/#EOSDPP

I don't use it much but it's handy for some things.

Louise

Thanks Louise

I have moved the images off the camera so probably can't view anything using the software. I have posted on the Pixinsight blog seeking help. Thanks for your input.

Alec

Hi Alec

Um, DPP - Digital Photo Professional - is Canon's photo image processing software which runs on a PC. It facilitates quick views of downloaded (to PC) .cr2 files and enables retrieval of individual photos info, amongst many other things. It's obviously geared towards processing normal photos but is quite useful for some astro things.

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

Software fault in the camera... did you upgrade the DSLR firmware recently?

I'd try turning auto rotate on than off again... if that doesn't fix the issue look for either a firmware upgrade or if you just did, a way to go back to previous version.

Archived