NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quark is nice for visual too!

Luke

Hi folks,

I noticed recently that the Quark is getting a lot of nice comments about how it is good for imaging. I just wanted to say that I love the Quark for visual too, it is not just an imaging device. I'd say I like it just as much for visual as for imaging. My wife Sarah does visual only and loves the Quark.

What I especially love about it is how I can view with larger aperture than my budget would allow for a dedicated h-alpha scope, so I can see greater detail in active regions and proms. Some days when there are relatively small proms, I still adore the proms, yesterday was a day like that (that said, there was an impressive tall prom too that looked even better this morning I think). The Quark's ability to be used in relatively large scopes and the greater resolving power really helps these proms to have that little bit more character, in my view.

Anyway, Quark visual folks, do you find it works well for visual?

Not really a Quark, but in the same type of ballpark, my Solar Spectrum filter with Baader TZ-4 operates in much the same way, and is superb, visually. I only operate it at 75mm aperture at the moment, but that 15mm increase over the 60mm SolarMax I have is really significant. I plan to get something like the ES AR127 (5" F/6.5 achro) to use with the Solar Spectrum filter, and that should be awesome visually.

Good post, Luke.

Having never imaged in my life... aside from a couple of iPhone solar snaps... Wow ;)... I absolutely agree that the Quark is awesome for visual use. It is what it was designed for, I believe, after all. I reckon even Daystar themselves must be gobsmacked at what you, and a few others, have been able to drag out of their "cheap little solar option" imaging wise!

Thinking of getting one of these. Which model would you recommend. Prominence or Chromoshere ?

For me, definitely get Chromosphere if you are not sure, only get Prominence if you especially want to concentrate on the proms. I have not used the Prominence but I have used a 'light' and a 'dark' Quark Chromosphere and based on that I would expect the Prominece to show proms that little bit better but to lack quite a bit of contrast that will make it harder to see features on the disc.

The Chromosphere still shows proms well, just not quite as well as the Prominence should do. It's a bit like single stack dedicated h-alpha scope (brighter, bit better on proms) versus double stack (gorgeous contrast on the disc, proms still visible but not as bright).

Hope that helps.

Not really a Quark, but in the same type of ballpark, my Solar Spectrum filter with Baader TZ-4 operates in much the same way, and is superb, visually. I only operate it at 75mm aperture at the moment, but that 15mm increase over the 60mm SolarMax I have is really significant. I plan to get something like the ES AR127 (5" F/6.5 achro) to use with the Solar Spectrum filter, and that should be awesome visually.

Look forward to seeing what you get and how you get on with it, Michael. I found 60 to 85 quite a big gap visually and also 85 to 100, despite just 15mm more. I didn't find 100 to 120 as big as those, I think around 100mm is my sweet spot visually but for imaging it is hard to turn down any aperture gain, as a beefy mount needs to be out anyway!

Yep, visual only for me, Quark Chromosphere. Views are spectacular, proms are wonderful. Was using it today in the Tak FC-100. Lovely.

Ah yes Stu, that is a good point, if you have a posh frac/nice focuser on a regular scope, it can be a real joy to do solar h-alpha with that too.

I am very happy to be able to use possibly the poshest bit of astro kit I have, Feathertouch Rack & Pinion focuser, with my Quark on my Equinox 120. A bit overkill arguably, the focuser, but it's always a pleasure to use it.

Thinking of getting one of these. Which model would you recommend. Prominence or Chromoshere ?

+1 for Chromosphere. You've been openly hanging in the wings on this, and it's not an insignificant purchase, so I understand you want to do all the researching you can. I did, too.

I have had problems and returned two units which did not perform to spec. But now I think I have it nailed, having bought a used Quark from a fellow SGL member. The past couple of days have been wonderful, working out what's best with my available kit and, generally, just playing around.

Go for it! The journey is as much a part of the fun as the destination.

Look forward to seeing what you get and how you get on with it, Michael. I found 60 to 85 quite a big gap visually and also 85 to 100, despite just 15mm more. I didn't find 100 to 120 as big as those, I think around 100mm is my sweet spot visually but for imaging it is hard to turn down any aperture gain, as a beefy mount needs to be out anyway!

Ah yes Stu, that is a good point, if you have a posh frac/nice focuser on a regular scope, it can be a real joy to do solar h-alpha with that too.

I am very happy to be able to use possibly the poshest bit of astro kit I have, Feathertouch Rack & Pinion focuser, with my Quark on my Equinox 120. A bit overkill arguably, the focuser, but it's always a pleasure to use it.

I blame solar for getting me into expensive focusers! Getting focus spot on just seems to be very critical for nailing the detail so a nice dual speed seems to be an essential in my mind.

A good focuser is a must. This is one reason why I am first going for the ES AR127, rather than the cheaper options which sport rather horrible R&P focusers. I might upgrade to something better later, but the ES Crayford should be at least as good as the one on my APM 80mm. My one real gripe with the SolarMax-II 60mm is its slightly grotty focuser, which cannot be replaced :(

A good focuser is a must. This is one reason why I am first going for the ES AR127, rather than the cheaper options which sport rather horrible R&P focusers. I might upgrade to something better later, but the ES Crayford should be at least as good as the one on my APM 80mm. My one real gripe with the SolarMax-II 60mm is its slightly grotty focuser, which cannot be replaced :(

Yes I think the SM60's weakest point is the helical focuser. It works, but it's a  slight pain, if I went slightly past focus point I had to rewind and try again, there was a bit of backlash. Scope itself, very solid, it's very heavy for a 60mm! Which is good and bad, I sometimes like light, and sometimes chunky is reassuring! :laugh:

Not all helicals are bad, my Tele Vue 60's is not bad but even that is not as good as a dual speed I think, focus is so critical, even at the 60mm!

I couldn't agree more with all the comments above, the Quark is great for visual and there are some stunning views to be seen :laugh:

The benefits of adding solar capability to ones arsenal is quite a blessing for this hobby (be it a spectrum, Lunt or a Quark) especially in countries with a similar climate to the UK as it really gives the opportunity to spend more time at the eyepiece :laugh:

Long live the Sun :grin:

I couldn't agree more with all the comments above, the Quark is great for visual and there are some stunning views to be seen :laugh:

The benefits of adding solar capability to ones arsenal is quite a blessing for this hobby (be it a spectrum, Lunt or a Quark) especially in countries with a similar climate to the UK as it really gives the opportunity to spend more time at the eyepiece :laugh:

Long live the Sun :grin:

I agree with you Shaun.  Also of course, the Sun is the most dynamic changing object we can look at in the sky.  I must confess a little bias here on my behalf  :smiley: .  Mind you, the clouds change an awful lot too, which is why I'm a member of The Cloud Appreciation Society.  If you can't beat them, join them!!

Archived