Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PhD not moving mount north or south manually

beamer3.6m

When it is the calibration fails.

I thought I would test the signals to the mount by using the manual controls from within PHD2 and east/west moves but nothing for north south.

The mount is working normally, in runs in EQMOD, astrotortilla etc etc.

When it is the calibration fails.

I thought I would test the signals to the mount by using the manual controls from within PHD2 and east/west moves but nothing for north south.

The mount is working normally, in runs in EQMOD, astrotortilla etc etc.

Assuming you are using ASCOM, try moving the mount with the ASCOM virtual hand controller. If that works, it's not a cable problem.

If you had no response with the ASCOM hand controller, I'd say yes. As  the mount is OK with the ASCOM HC, I'd say you have system issues with your computer. Perhaps not enough RAM? I find astro related groups very helpful as often the author of the software or company rep of the hardware is right there and can get one fixed quickly. Up to you.

I mention it because I'm having spotty performance from my laptop tonight that only occurs when I have Stellariumscope, PHD2  BYN and in and out of AT during the session. I'm sure I need more ram. Some functions are slow and mouse clicks take a couple times. Just taking a stab at it as I have no other explanation for your issues. You could always change the cable to see. Without the ASCOM HC working, that would be the indication when manual guiding doesn't work in PHD

Had this problem with iOptron iEQ45 wouldn't go South or East never did find out why, even had new board fitted, gave up on ST4 and used ASCOM pulse guiding in PHD and it worked, as I say never did get it to work in ST4 so not much help to you I know.

Appealed to Yahoo group but no help there.

What size calibration steps are you using ? you could try lowering them a lot and raising them a lot can't remember which one :)

Dave

Pulse guiding is an EQMOD function but you need to tell PHD to use it... not ST4 (in Camera)... and disconnect the ST4 cable.

if EQMOD moves your scope in all directions then it should also work for Pulse Guiding.

Are you connecting to EQMOD using the handset (in PC Direct Mode) or are you using an EQDIR module... for best results you need the latter as the handset mode adds a lot of unknown delays etc which could easily effect guiding.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sandy. :grin:

Things would have been simpler if you would have said that you weren't using ASCOM.

He IS using ASCOM.

@the OP: Have you enabled Pulse Guiding in the EQASCOM toolbox? Click on Driver Setup and make sure it's enabled here:

Step%2B2.10.jpg

One other thing that I have found. I had a devil of a job getting PHD2 to control my mount. I found that I have to click on the Config tab in the Connect Equipment tab (the one that pops up when you click on the camera icon in PHD2). This brings up the EQMOD window above,, even when I am connected to the mount. I click on OK, then connect to the mount. It works perfectly then.

Thanks guys will try pulse guiding.

How do I get to the eqmod toolbox? And where do I find the pulse fuide setting. I am naff with this pc settings stuff.

For clarity I am using eqdir module rather than pc direct through handset.

If I understand it correctly pulse guiding means that the mount will guide via the usb cable only from the qhy5 and the st4 cable will not be needed???

Thanks guys will try pulse guiding.

How do I get to the eqmod toolbox? And where do I find the pulse fuide setting. I am naff with this pc settings stuff.

Have you read through the EQMOD startup guide?

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/docs/EQASCOM_QuickStart.pdf

I know it's not in our nature to RTFM, but doing so will prevent problems further down the road. Kayron Mercieca's excellent site also has a good tutorial:

http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/tutorial-imaging-setting-up-equatorial.html

You get to the toolbox by clicking Start>EQMOD/ EQASCOM/ toolbox

Step%2B2.12.jpg

Click on Driver Setup to get to the conig window that i showed earlier.

For clarity I am using eqdir module rather than pc direct through handset.

That's the best way to do it. Connecting through the handcontroller will introduce delays in the signals.

If I understand it correctly pulse guiding means that the mount will guide via the usb cable only from the qhy5 and the st4 cable will not be needed???

Correct. One less cable to worry about! :grin:

Zakalwe.

Your a genius. Pulse guiding working a treat after fidling in toolbox.

No I'm not...I just keep hitting things with a big hammer until they work or break! Chris Shillito and the other EQMOD contributors are the geniuses :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Pulse guiding working a treat after fidling in toolbox.

calibration passed as hoped.

Long exposures here I come.

Whoohoo.

I'm really pleased for you. These things can be as frustrating as hell. Glad you got it sorted  :icon_bounce::hello2:

Archived