SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is andromeda galaxy really naked eye?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see M31 quite regularly from my backyard. Until recently that was the only naked eye galaxy that I'd seen but I saw the Large Magellanic Cloud from Australia last week so thats two I guess. The Small Magellanic Cloud needed binoculars from the skies I was viewing from (Sydney suburbs) but the magnificent globular cluster 47 Tucanae was naked eye visible and looked striking in binoculars.

59 minutes ago, John said:

I can see M31 quite regularly from my backyard. Until recently that was the only naked eye galaxy that I'd seen but I saw the Large Magellanic Cloud from Australia last week so thats two I guess. The Small Magellanic Cloud needed binoculars from the skies I was viewing from (Sydney suburbs) but the magnificent globular cluster 47 Tucanae was naked eye visible and looked striking in binoculars.

+1 for 47 Tuc John, it has become my favourite globular since it came into view at my place. Not as huge as Omega Centauri but a much brighter centre and more easily visible individual stars, and is a stunning sight through the 12 inch Dob. I have tried and tried to see the SMC just adjacent to 47 Tuc, but for the life of me I can't see it, I think there is just too much light pollution from Melbourne here.

Andromeda is coming into view on my northern horizon now so that will be my next target, though again may be too dim to see here, fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Pid said:

Looking at this which is so far away and we are able to observe it does it not make you wonder that when Betelgeuse does decide to explode will we actually be a safe. 

Apparently yes.  Such an event is not directed towards Earth, or so I have read before.  I imagine they can estimate the main fall out by detecting the orientation of Betelgeuse from its spin.  I'm sure it will still be somewhat spectacular though!

I believe light pollution has a lot to do with naked eye visibility of M31. I for one have never been able to see M31 with naked eye in my backyard (I'm based in the outskirts of Peterborough). A 4" frac only reveals its massive core with no dust lanes visible.

Archived