Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 vs NEQ6 portability

Ceames

Hi all,

I’m in the process of saving up for a new mount, as for imaging my EQ3-2 is clearly the weak link in my current setup.  An HEQ5 seems to be the obvious choice for an upgrade but I’m also considering saving a bit more and going for an NEQ6 in order to future proof the setup in case I decide to get a larger scope further down the line.

All my imaging to date has been done from the courtyard outside my house.  This is convenient, as it just involves moving my setup a few metres out the back door, but not ideal as I have to deal with the light pollution of central Cheltenham and I have a very limited view of the sky given the surrounding buildings.  At some point I expect I will want to venture a bit further afield and find a dark site in the Cotswolds which would involve loading everything into the car round the corner from the house and setting up at the other end.

Basically my question is how feasible would this be with an NEQ6?  I’m not too unfit, and there should be no stairs involved, but I’m likely to be moving everything by myself…

If anyone has any general advice on what difference in performance I could expect between the two mounts (given the price difference) would be great too!  For reference my current setup is a Skywatcher 150p + Canon DSLR, which I have been using unguided on the EQ3-2, just about able to get 90s subs.  The plan would be, after upgrading the mount, to sort out guiding although this will probably involve saving up again so any info on the exposure length I would be able to get unguided on these mounts in the mean time would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

C.

Future proof would be a AZ-EQ6-GT worth the extra money over a NEQ6, there going to be a bit weighty i have a bus pass and can carry the NEQ6 attached to its tripod short distances, splitting the mount and tripod would be quite easy to move about, you would need to to get them in a car i suspect.......You could use a Star Adventurer with a DSLR for dark site, it would all fit in a ruck sack.....would of course be wide field imagines....

There's also the AZ EQ5-GT to consider...though I haven't heard of many people using it (probably due to the poor weather)...

I have lifted both the NEQ6 and HEQ5 mounts when I was investigating them and the difference is not all that much. It would possibly be if you had to carry them long distances but carrying them short distances is much the same. The difference between carrying 5x2 litre bottles of pop and carrying 6x2 litre bottles...both are a bit bulky and could really do with a handle on them but if you were lifting them in/out of the car much the same with the NEQ6 obviously being a bit heavier/bulkier.

I certainly wouldn't choose one over the other because it is slightly smaller/lighter.

Depends on your fitness and where you have to lug it to.  

I owned an EQ6 and an HEQ5, I still have the 5 but the 6 was sold on.  Main reason was weight and the hassle of moving it.  I live in a flat and a four story climb up 8 flights of stairs with an NEQ6 was a headache.  Its not just the increased weight of the mount head its the increased weight of the tripod.  Dont be fooled by the apparently small difference in weight - the 5 (mount head only) weighs in at 10kg while the 6 weighs in at 16kg.  6 kg doesnt sound that much until you have to lug it across a dark field or up and down stairs.

With an HEQ5 I could cart mount, scope and eyepieces upstairs and downstairs in 2 trips, with the 6 it was three trips.  Might not sound like much but after you have done it a few times you really start to resent that extra schlepp up and down hence why I sold the 6 on.  After the firtst few times it never got used and became a hanger queen.

I just found the 6 to be the extra few pounds that breaks the camels back. The guy who bought the 6 off me said he never appreciated how heavy it was until he had to cart it down the stairs and quite a few 6 owners on their way to me to have their mounts rebuilt have looked like they were about to have a cardiac arrest by the time they got to my front door  :)

On the whole though, assuming you are fit, have no back/mobility issues and don't intend to cart the thing about very far from the boot of a car I would go with the 6 for the future proofing and better weight carrying ability. Either would be a huge jump from the EQ3-2.

Thanks for the advice everyone -  I think not having to go up and down stairs may be the deciding factor between the two for me!  I think the NEQ6 could work as long as I plan things sensibly…

I’m not sure about the AZ-EQ5-GT / AZ-EQ6-GT, what are the advantages other than the fact they can also work as Alt/Az mounts?  The AZ-EQ6 is a fair bit more expensive than the NEQ6 (that extra money could go towards a guiding setup) and I can’t really imagine needing an Alt/Az mount as I’m mostly thinking of imaging and if I fancy doing more observing I would probably put the difference in money into a bigger Dob.  Do they offer anything more stability or functionality wise as EQ mounts?

Cheers,

C.

PS. also thank you Astro_Baby - your guides to collimation and polar alignment have been a huge help in getting the most out of my current setup!

what are the advantages

off the top of my head, az-eq6 has better power connections, comes with belt drive as standard and includes freedom-find technology, also some other improvements in the adjustment screws.  FLO have an independent review of it on their website: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq6-mount.html

oh and I had one for a while.  my heq5 is a lot more portable IMO, even though I'm pretty fit, its much easier to carry about in one piece.

Go look at one before you do anything, neither are really small.

I bought an HEQ5 used, it sat in the rear of the car for some time before I plucked up the courage to get it out and carry indoors. :eek: :eek:

I then went and bought an EQ5. :grin: :grin:

I could and can move the HEQ5, the weight is not an issue, but the thought of doing so puts me off half the time so it stays inside and I do as well.

THe EQ5 is less intimidating, although that tripod has an WO Easy Touch mount on it at present.

If the purchase can wait there isthe IAS at Stoneleigh sometime around Sept or Oct.

As you say however the NEQ6 is a future proof mount.

Whilst you are quite correct in considering the weight and merits of the two mounts, your original post gives me the impression that you will be wishing to cart around a lot more than just a mount.  Take a holistic view and imagine how much stuff you will be carrying to have a 'portable' guided setup for AP.  TBH, the battery/power supply could well be the heaviest single item.

Hi Ceames. Is there any chance you could you make it to the next Cotsŵold AS meeting in Shurdington on the 8th August? I am doing some work on my obsy so could bring my NEQ6 & 150P to the meeting for you to take a look at. See if you think it would be a manageable.

Thanks for your generous offer Rik, unfortunately I'm away that weekend! 

I've not done very well at making it to any of the Cotswold AS meetings since I met some of you at the Science Festival – they have all been on weekends I have already had plans.  I hope to make it along some time soon though!

Hi,

I own both HEQ5 & NEQ6.

The 6 is heavy by not unduly so. I frequently pack in the car boot and take it to the continent. Once there it gets lugged about 100 m across a field before setting up. Both mounts are excellent, but I favour the 6 due to its extra load carrying capacity.

Regards, Herrman

Archived