NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

In the beginning ...there was Lunt

I recently bought a Lunt 50 Tha through First Light Optics and just about got a chance to explore it between the clouds today.

You can read about it here - such a fantastically well built scope :-)

Thanks to First Light Optics - outstanding service as usual.

David

Nice blog, thanks. It's interesting you got hold of a lunt 50. Every time I look at FLO etc they're out of stock. Are they just coming in and selling out in say the first 24 hours ... or is there some secret club you need to join :)

Nice blog, thanks. It's interesting you got hold of a lunt 50. Every time I look at FLO etc they're out of stock. Are they just coming in and selling out in say the first 24 hours ... or is there some secret club you need to join :)

I put in a request for one so long ago I forgot that I had :-)

You should have seen the frantic negotiations that went on to secure the money - I won't go in to detail but the recent dip in the Shanghi stock exchange wasn't entirely down to over speculation in the tech markets LOL!

David

Thats great David.  Finally some more are making their way over which is excellent news as they are such good value.  You will be treated to some amazing views over time.  Wait until an AR flares up (like the one recently that caused that huge aurora) that was really something amazing to see, brief but so dynamic.   

Here's my first serious effort at imaging with the Lunt 50 Tha (without any clouds in the shot)

I've got a long way to go to learn how to use it correctly but it was fun to see what the possibilities are :-)

So much more interesting than white light imaging - and challenging too.

This was 2400 frames on the disk and about 1400 frames on the prominences. The camera is a ZWO AS120MC.

Someone want to explain the "sweet spot"? I think I see evidence of it but someone pointing it out would help....

(not sure that sentence is legal on this forum......) LOL!

David

post-1878-0-16237300-1437836505_thumb.jp

Hi David, enjoyed your blog :smiley:

I think that what's meant by the "sweet spot" is the area of good definition within the field of view, outside the sweet spot definition falls away.  It's a problem with the "tilt tuner" like on my more basic Lunt 35, where the etalon is tilted relative to the optical system.  Your pressure tuner helps eliminate that issue. Maybe there's more to it than that, but that's my basic understanding.

BTW, in your blog you mention Dave Smith, if that's the Dave Smith on SGL, he's a clubmate of mine at Castle Point AS in Essex. His solar images with the Quark are stunning. His night-time images are similarly great.

Cheers, Ed.

Nice one David, it sounds like you are very happy with your choice :laugh:  You have also changed my mind about Blog's ..... I now understand their purpose and how interesting a read they can be :grin: Thank you for posting.

Hi David, enjoyed your blog :smiley:

I think that what's meant by the "sweet spot" is the area of good definition within the field of view, outside the sweet spot definition falls away.  It's a problem with the "tilt tuner" like on my more basic Lunt 35, where the etalon is tilted relative to the optical system.  Your pressure tuner helps eliminate that issue. Maybe there's more to it than that, but that's my basic understanding.

BTW, in your blog you mention Dave Smith, if that's the Dave Smith on SGL, he's a clubmate of mine at Castle Point AS in Essex. His solar images with the Quark are stunning. His night-time images are similarly great.

Cheers, Ed.

Thank Ed - I remember reading about that advantage with the Lunt 50 now - I think.

And yes it is Dave Smith on SGL - I've seen his work on Google+ and couldn't believe the quality - quite outstanding.

Thanks again

David

Nice one David, it sounds like you are very happy with your choice :laugh:  You have also changed my mind about Blog's ..... I now understand their purpose and how interesting a read they can be :grin: Thank you for posting.

Very kind of you Shaun - thanks - keeping the blog is a good personal record as well - every once in a while I save the blog to .pdf - interesting too look back on what I was doing and the pics are embedded too :-)

David

Excellent image David, time to post in the Solar imaging section I think, you will feel right at home as most of us are called David  :grin:

Dave

The star of David :grin:

Archived