NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What 5mm eyepiece is best for 200mm Newt?

philsail1

Dear All,

I'm building up a nice range of eyepieces for my 200mm Skywatcher Explorer Newtonian. Got some quality low and medium power eyepieces. However, I'm looking for a "good" eyepiece of around 5mm focal length. This should give a magnification of 200 on my Newt.

I already own a Japanese made 6.3mm Orthoscopic eyepiece, which gives reasonably good views of the planets - but at 158x it is at its limit. I've tried to Barlow it with a 2x Barlow and it doesn't work too well - the images are a bit "soft," and focussing is crical.

I also have a TAL 6.00mm plossl which orks OK on the TAL 100RS refractor, but is not so hot on the Newt!.

I have a 10mm Vixen npl which works great with the Newtonian, and with the 2x Barlow, does give a good magnification of 200x.

Does, anyone have any suggestions? (perhaps another "vixen.")

Regards,

philsail1

Regards,

philsail1

I use a TS Planetary HR 5mm in my Skyliner 200P and it works very nicely. They have a 60 degree FoV and are pretty sharp right across it as far as I can see. The 16mm eye relief makes it comfortable for a 5mm as well ;)

They cost around £50 and can be bought from either Telescope Services in Germany or I think Modern Astrononomy do them.

John

I had a TMB/BO 5mm planetary which was superb (of which the TS eyepieces are clones of), the only reason I got rid of it was for a Hyperion which gives you a wider field, but in an f5 scope distorts slightly at the edges so I probably have the same FOV in a bigger eyepiece. C'est la vie....

Tony..

Ah! Thanks John & Tony,

I'll make enquiries about those two eyepieces.

(mainly to check prices and quality between the two).

P.S. I just read an article on the "Cloudy Nights" site, about a Televue "Powermate?" The article says they are far better than a Barlow. I wonder if any SGL members have experience of using one?

Thanks again,

Regards,

philsail1

I have a 4X Powermate which I use with my TV refractor and Orion Mak. It performs far better than any 2X Barlow I have ever used with no sign of distortion or dimming of the image. Like all Televue products it's designed mainly to work with other Televue stuff; it doesn't seem to work work quite so well with some eyepieces like Hyperions thathave built-in Barlows. One other possible drawback is that it weighs well over 500gms so could cause problems on a mount that's close to its weight limit - Hugh

Re the "Powermate." Many thanks for your reply "Hugh." Yes, I can appreciate that the Televue "Powermate" works best when mated with other TV products. Also as yours is the 4x version, I wonder if the 2x model would be less demanding when mated with other non TV products?

"Karlo." Thanks for your recommendation for the TS HR 5mm eyepiece. I'm checking out both this, and the Burgess Optics TMB 5mm Planetary.

Regards,

philsail1

As an "Offbeat" choice, I have wondered about the Antares Speers-Waler Mk.II (clickstop) 5-8mm Zoom. I once had the 10mm fixed-focus Mk.I version and liked that. The ablility to "tune" a shorter focal length e.p. to the precise seeing-limit is supposed to be useful... Ooooh, just looked at the Price - But even the fixed focus Mk.II versions look cool too? ;)

Ye, the (Antares SW Mk11 Zoom) looks good (£190+) but it's difficult to go for one of these without being 100% sure it would give the perfect planetary views on my 8" Newt.

The fixed focus ones look good, and are a lot cheaper too.

It's beginning to get a bit confusing though - as the choices continue to increase!

I'm still toying with the idea of the 2x Televue "Powermate."

I'll see what some others say before deciding!

regards,

philsail1

Thanks for reply "Starman1701"

I'll check out that Vixen 5mm NLV eyepiece (£72.00) as Orion Optics are in "Crewe" which I visit once a week as part of my work. (Never thought of "OO" before).

I read the review on Cloudy Nights. Really good write up, and came out top of the three tested. Seems to be compatible with differing focal ratios as well.

I have already got a 10mm Vixen NPL eyepiece, which is a nifty performer on the planets. They do seem to be excellent eyepieces.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,

philsail1

Also as yours is the 4x version, I wonder if the 2x model would be less demanding when mated with other non TV products?

I've never used a 2X Powermate (I can't afford more than one!), but the X4 works fine with plain and simple eyepieces such as orthoscopics and Plossls of brands other than Televue. I'm sure the X2 would perform just as well. The good thing about Televue products like Powermates and eyepieces is that you get the Nagler design input and iron grip on quality control - Hugh.

Ah, thanks for that "Kennyboy." The Hyperions do look good, and I will consider, after I check out the Vixen NPL eyepieces at Orion Optics in Crewe tomorrow.

P.S. I've (reluctantly) decided to go for some of the more expensive eyepieces for my Skywatcher 8" Newt, rather than buy a Skymax 127 Mak. ;)

I'm glad you are liking yours though! :(

Regards,

philsail1

Hello Phil,

" What 5mm eyepiece is best for 200mm Newt? "

The answer to that question depends on many parameters.

One is the price you want to pay, or willing to spend.

Another ist the focal ratio of the scope.

From what you wrote I deduct the focal length ist 1000mm and so the scope is an f/5 Newt.

What apparent field of view do you desire to get? Wide angle, super-wide angle or is an 40° Otrho o.k?

If money does not matter that much I propose a 5mm Pentax XW or a used 5.2mm Pentax XL.

I own the 5.2mm Pentax XL wich gives very pleasent views with my 8"f/6 Newt.

I could compare it to a 5mm Pentax XW on open clusters and the moon and they were equally good.

The 5mm Vixen LVW is great too.

I could try a 5mm Hyperion with my Newt. It gave pleasent views, but not as contrasty as the Pentax.

The TMB/Burgess / TS Planetary seem to get better with the years. Some weeks ago I could try a sample

from the latest production run and the straylight/flaring problems were much reduced compared to the

early samples.

It were 2 of the eyepieces Sven Wienstein had for a review:

http://www.svenwienstein.de/HTML/ts_planetary_hr.html

A 5mm Univerity Optics or Baader Ortho gives sharp and contrasty views with my f/6 Newt, but it might

be less good in a more demanding f/5 Newt.

One thing you can try is a 2.2x University Optics Klee Barlow. I is a barlow wich corrects for off-xis coma

in Newts down to f/4 and it works very well with my 13mm Televue Plössl and the 12mm and 8mm Edmund

RKE eyepieces.

The 13mm Plössl and 2.2x Klee combi gives even more contrasty views on lunar survace than my 6mm

Vixen Ortho (it is a black anodised aluminium flat top eyepiece, there are different versions of vixen ortho)

All in all I can only give you the following advice:

Try to compare different eyepieces using your own scope when seeing is good. You can get the possibility

for example on a starparty.

Regards, Karsten

• 4 years later...

Archived