NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Attaching a Canon lens tripod collar ring to EQ mount

Jonk

The standard Canon lens tripod collar ring only has 1 hole to connect to a monopod or tripod mounting plate.

If I want to attach it straight to a mount saddle (HEQ5 or AZ-EQ6 in my case), what size rings would I need for the 70-200 2.8 is ii, assuming this works?

I don't like the idea of astrophotography with an expensive bit of kit, on a potentially unstable single bolt or piggybacked on other telescope rings.

I faced a similar problem and modified a short SW dovetail but as you said its still held by one screw ok if its horizontal but not so secure on an eq mount when at an angle.

I am considering one of these http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p237_TS-Dovetail-mounting-bar-Vixen-style---100-mm-buttonhole-and-1-4--Screw.html and will add a second M6 bolt that will require drilling a second hole in my canon lens foot adapter but it would be safe.

Alan

I have my EF 300/4L IS mounted with just one bolt but tightened very hard (hope the adapter holds) and I have yet not had it loosen even the slightest. You could secure it with a velcro strip or something to make sure it doesn't fall to the ground if the bolt somehow unscrews itself.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The part of this particular lens where the tripod collar fits is roughly 80mm diameter, the end around the objective is roughly 88mm.

I'm probably going to find 80mm and 90mm rings and mount the hole lens direct to a vixen dovetail.

I don't want it to move and I don't trust the collar on a tripod, let alone on an EQ mount pointing at a galaxy far, far away......

The part of this particular lens where the tripod collar fits is roughly 80mm diameter, the end around the objective is roughly 88mm.

I'm probably going to find 80mm and 90mm rings and mount the hole lens direct to a vixen dovetail.

I don't want it to move and I don't trust the collar on a tripod, let alone on an EQ mount pointing at a galaxy far, far away......

probably a wise choice if a bit fiddly, makes me think that there would be a market for a canon type ring with a foot that could either be tripod mounted or fit directly into a vixen style clamp a bit like my scope I suppose.

Alan

I used a dovetail bar on the EQ mount. A standard camera bolt through this into the bottom of the camera and drilled a further hole in the dovetail at the right spot for the lens collar and also bolted through this.

Thus I can have 2 bolts holding the camera and lens to the dovetail on the EQ-3 mount. Steady as a rock even with the Tamron zoom in place and both simple and cheap.

Rich

Hi Jon, this is something I lashed up  using an old dovetail, a bolt and some penny washers , had it bolted on top of the ST80 tube rings, held 60Da and

70-200 zoom OK, never fell off anyway. :)

Araldited the bolt in the washers then ground the top off and cut some slots in the edge to grip it with,drilled through the dovetail into the base of the ring but not right through, cut a bit off the shaft of the drill and araldited it into the dovetail to stop it spinning.

The washers are big enough to fit and remove the camera in situ.

Dave

post-21198-0-39897100-1436979925_thumb.j

post-21198-0-54750700-1436979929_thumb.p

post-21198-0-17055100-1436979935_thumb.p

post-21198-0-71017100-1436979938_thumb.p

Nice one Dave - But Rich's idea is really good - fit a 2nd bolt to the camera on the same dovetail.

That would save me buying rings and should be as solid as it needs to be.

Thanks all.

Hi Jon, this is something I lashed up  using an old dovetail, a bolt and some penny washers , had it bolted on top of the ST80 tube rings, held 60Da and

70-200 zoom OK, never fell off anyway. :)

Araldited the bolt in the washers then ground the top off and cut some slots in the edge to grip it with,drilled through the dovetail into the base of the ring but not right through, cut a bit off the shaft of the drill and araldited it into the dovetail to stop it spinning.

The washers are big enough to fit and remove the camera in situ.

Dave

attachicon.gifAdapter 4.jpg

attachicon.gifAdapter-1.png

attachicon.gifAdapter-2.png

attachicon.gifAdapter-3.png

Nice, thats similar to the mod I did on my SW short dovetail but I cut one of the end pieces off so I could fit the lens/camera with a battery grip.

Alan

Archived