Modded DSLR for solar

Davey-T

Here's a shot from yesterday, with a mono ASI120 camera, Solar Continuum and IR block filters.

post-20257-0-45579000-1436693770.jpg

I do use my Nikon D3200 ( not modified ) for solar, shooting video and processing it, but that of course is a lower resolution than a single RAW image.

Here's a Nikon solar image using an Evo80ED and x2 teleconverter.

sun2015_84.jpg

As a comparison, here's a five panel Mosaic with the ASI120 and So Cont Filter, using the same scope at the native 600mm focal length.

sun2015_77.jpg

I did some messing about a while back on lunar images thoguh I can't recall if I tried it on the Sun.  I think the principle would be pretty much the same.  Basically I worked from the assumption that the image would be effectively monochrome (probably more true in the case of the Sun) and split the raw frames from the camera directly into separate their red, green and blue components (no processing of the colour mask at all), converted them into mono and recombined them to give a full resolution mono image.  I didn't have any idea whether it would work or not, but a side-by-side comparison with a standard colour image flattened to monochrome (derived from the same raw data) gave perhaps a little better definition in the image produced by the first method at the expense of a little noise.  The increased apparently noise isn't entirely a surprise as processing the raw frame to colour can smooth the image slightly.

James

Only if it were "modded" to remove the bayer "CFA" matrix, giving you a huge mono chip.

Not much to be gained from the "standard" astro mods as far as I can see.

I did a test yesterday with monochrome Nikon D5100. Problem is that AS2 fails to process my dcraw true raw converted images if they're bigger than 2250x2236 pixels.

1872015_BG.jpg

Here's a larger image:

http://www.kuulapaa.com/Solar/1872015_AG.jpg

I see. How do you stack the image above? Generally I use registax 5 to stack my solar subs after they have been converted to tif in PIPP. Could you use PIPP to crop the frame as well so that it does not exceed the limit you mentioned?

I take the images with firmware modded mono D5100 to avoid any raw data scaling. Then convert them true grayscale raw tiff without demosaicing, after that some levels and PIPP to crop the images. This results quite big files, but they should be pure representations of what sensor sees.

However both Registax and AS2 dislike the file format if resolution exceeds before mentioned limit, which is quite odd because dcraw is the standard. There must be something in the tiffs that results such behavior I think. Adobe raw converted debayered files have no such effect.

Archived