NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any Mac Users out There?

Hmmm.  Looks like the problems I'm having on OSX are that the new ASI SDK uses library functions that aren't available in the earlier 64-bit releases of OSX.  I've proposed a workaround to ZWO and we'll see what they come back with, otherwise I might have to implement a few compatibility functions.

James

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still using AS!2 on Windows for stacking.

I've been working recently to put together a version of Siril that will install on OSX, but it's proving awkward to come up with something that's just drag and drop.

James

Oh, there's also Lynkeos for stacking on the Mac, but I've not tried it myself.  I'm not sure how successful those who have tried it have been.  I think it's quite limited in the file types it will read.

James

Processing is fine Mac based as PI and PS are readily available, however ASCOM and controlling gear can be a real nightmare as this is mostly Windows based, ( I know some do but it can be a real struggle and impossible for certain devices unless you can make drivers  / applications yourself) overall its cheaper to put a PC on a scope to do its thing than a Mac.

After that id say processing it really upto you.

I think I will try to find a Canon camera body to use just for Astronomy.  Crop video mode. Okay.  What else?  Which model should I consider?

I use a 60d not sure which others support crop video at 1 to 1 pixel 640 X 480 , you can use BYeos or APT to zoom the sensor X5 on other models but I don't think it gets as good results as crop mode.

Another useful thing to have is the flip out LCD screen.

There are also mirror less models, not sure if they support crop mode.

If you log on to www.dpreview you can see reviews of all Canon models to check their features.

Dave

Hi James, many thanks - i had heard of Lynkeos - i'll give it a whirl.

Does oaCapture work with the NexImage? It can see it in the device menu - (UVC) NexImage 5, but then says its unable to connect. 

I'd love to be on a totally mac workflow,

Cheers

Joe

There's a nasty way to make the Neximage 5 work, which is to flash it with the UVC-compliant firmware for the Imaging Source camera on which it is based.  I can't see too many people being happy to do that.

Normally the Neximage 5 (and Burst etc.) use TIS's proprietary protocol.  I'm trying to see what I can do about supporting that at the moment.

James

I use a 60d not sure which others support crop video at 1 to 1 pixel 640 X 480 , you can use BYeos or APT to zoom the sensor X5 on other models but I don't think it gets as good results as crop mode.

Another useful thing to have is the flip out LCD screen.

There are also mirror less models, not sure if they support crop mode.

If you log on to www.dpreview you can see reviews of all Canon models to check their features.

Dave

....true movie crop mode, just the 60D and 550D.

Hi Tim, don't know what scope you're using but just to say although the crop video mode works well with f/10 SCT a DSLR is otherwise not that good a match to this sort of scope, generally even with a 6.3 focal reducer the arc seconds / pixel ratio is not ideal but still not unusable if that's all you've got.

You will quickly discover that in order to take pretty pictures of all available astro targets you need several scopes / cameras and a solid mount.  :grin:

Dave

Hi Dave.  Thanks for the info.  I have an ED80mm Refractor and on a Fed-ex truck somewhere is a new 9.25 SCT coming my way.  Can't wait to try that out on the CGEM.  New experience for me.   From what I have read, a planetary webcam is a good way to go combined with a capture/stacking program.   That sounds fun!  I have just about resigned myself to having to buy a PC for the Astrophoto work.  Sounds like there just are not the programs for Mac OS that there are for a PC.  Problem there is I have never owned a PC.  Only Macs from day one.  Any suggestions as far as the computer is concerned?

If you're only using it for capturing any old thing will do, my obs'y PC is circa 2005 running Win XP Pro, PHD guiding and Artemis Capture running camera and filter wheel.

What I have been trying to do is use MB Pro 13" then using stuff that works on the Mac, and stuff that won't on a Bootcamp partition, if you've got an old MBP around you could use that, just have to buy a legit copy of Win7 Pro off internet around 30GBP.

Dave

That'll be a nice setup, best of both worlds, I piggy back a 100mm refractor on the 10"SCT and switch camera / guiding between them.

Thanks Dave.  The piggy-back idea sounds great.  Why didn't I think of that?  I bought the Celestron Edge 9.25 (to be delivered tomorrow.)  I wonder ... will that have a way to piggy-back for my 80mm or would I have to buy mounting hardware?

Thanks Dave.  The piggy-back idea sounds great.  Why didn't I think of that?  I bought the Celestron Edge 9.25 (to be delivered tomorrow.)  I wonder ... will that have a way to piggy-back for my 80mm or would I have to buy mounting hardware?

I'm fairly sure you'll need suitable hardware to mount it.

James

I use something like this bolted to the top of the Meade 10"SCT, screw holes should already be there, mine has bolt holes to attach tube rings these don't appear to have any though. 

Also needs counterweight to offset weight of the piggy backed scope

Dave

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-mini-dovetail-series/adm-mini-dovetail-bar-celestron-925.html

Archived