Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope covers

After being shown up on the Kielder star party TV programme taking the plastic bin bags off of my scope that I had used to protect it from the weather, I have decided it's time to upgrade to a proper scope cover. I know there are the fancy ones (telegizmos, scope armour, etc) but they seem to cost an arm and a leg. I was browsing the Green-witch site yesterday and saw these (see link below)

http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Cases_and_Bags.html

..and they seemed much more reasonably priced. However, they don't look very sturdy. Has anyone got one and could tell me how well (or not) they perform, I'd be grateful?

Thanks, Martin

Hi Martin, I was just looking for a solution to a similar problem. I store my scope in-house on the wall but I could do with a pull-over cover for my EQ5 which has to go in my shed, which gets a bit damp. The one on your link is too big for my use but I imagine it would work.

Peter

You might want to consider a Telegizmo. I've just had mine delivered this week (model #TG2D for a 12" tube dob - price US$57).

I could have ordered it from Widescreen Centre as they seem to be the only UK retailer stocking them but as I was ordering some flocking paper from Scopestuff (USA) I stuck the Telegizmo cover on the order and saved myself a few quid (more than half the UK price actually) 8)

They do the 365 series too for permanent outdoor storage but they cost a bit more.

Thanks for the info about the other scope covers. The reason I was asking about the Green Witch ones is they're cheap and I'm a tight wad. Ordering from the States seems to produce a reasonable price but I always worry about being clobbered by customs.

Still not sure what to do, but thanks for the input.

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for the info about the other scope covers. The reason I was asking about the Green Witch ones is they're cheap and I'm a tight wad. Ordering from the States seems to produce a reasonable price but I always worry about being clobbered by customs.

Still not sure what to do, but thanks for the input.

Cheers, Martin

Not sure how I got away with it but the US customs declaration form on the parcel was labelled 'telescope accessory kit' which is a vague description of contents and could be just about anything. If it helps you decide, postage for my package cost $34 but if you're just ordering the cover then it will be much lighter and therefore postage costs will be lower.

I`m interested too. My current scope cover is big enough for the NS8GPS + piggybacked WO66, but only if its pointing at

the base, but if I have the Hyperstar unit attached, my current scope cover wont do the job.

I recently got a Telegizmo cover for 10"-12" EQ mounted Newts - The non 365 version, cus they just cost an arm and a leg! (and I couldn't see one for 10" newts anyway). Looks up to the job, very shiny and reflective. Now that the rain has gone I plan to get scope out enabling me to see how well it covers the 250px on EQ6 Synascan.

Matt

Archived