NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200P-DS refuses to lose collimation

I bought a 200P-DS second hand a year ago from Sheffield, took it back to Manchester, set it up, checked collimation and it was perfect. Cool. Since then I have taken it on a few short trips and it never seemed to lose collimation, I had bought a cheshire that I never got to use. 

Now I took it on a road-trip across Europe, 3700 km (2300 miles for the metric-challenged) in 5 days. I would finally get to use that nice cheshire. Well, no. Or, to be precise I did use it to make extra sure that the collimation was still perfect at the final destination.

I wonder, is this what other 200P-DS owners report?

On the other hand I often have to fiddle with my C8's collimation.

ive got the 200p and in two years ive only had to touch the collimation 3 times and i though that was good,but it has never left my property,yours has been across Europe, its done well.thanks for sharing and well done for taking good care with your scope.clear skys..charl..

Not just on the 200, but my 130 can go for months without the need for tweaking once its been set up. The only time I mess with it is when changing correctors or when (very) bored and fancy a bit of tinkering to improve illumination for the CCD (as the 130 does not have a large secondary).

Ecuador - I think you should demand your money back. You shouldn't be expected to pay good money for a SW scope that isn't a constant source of collimation angst requiring endless posts seeking help on forums like SGL.

Ecuador - I think you should demand your money back. You shouldn't be expected to pay good money for a SW scope that isn't a constant source of collimation angst requiring endless posts seeking help on forums like SGL.

Don't worry, I also have a Skywatcher mount which is worth a few help threads ;)

Archived