NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First real summer observing session this year

kev100

Hi all,

Haven't posted an observing report for a while, but I thought I'd do this one by way of offering a little encouragement to make the effort. I know a lot of people get put off observing in the summer months because it doesn't get dark till midnight, but I have to say I find it an absolutely magic time of the year. There's so much to see!

I set up my 250PX at about 10.30 last night, and had a quick peek at Jupiter before it set behind some trees (Jupiter's well past its best these days, and the haze made the seeing very poor). I then switched over to Saturn. By about quarter to 11 I could see a hint of banding across the middle of the planet, and also the Cassini division. I tried x200 in my William Optic 6mm, but the best views were with the 16mm MaxVision (probably the favourite of my EPs).

I spent quite a while on Saturn as there wasn't much else to see at the time. Arcturus, Vega and Antares were visible, but apart from them there were only faint stars visible in the eyepiece when I panned around. Before it was fully dark I had a quick glance at M57, more as a challenge to see if I could find it in the bright sky. The ring shape was clearly visible, but that's about it.

Finally, by about 11.30 or so, I was able to make out full constellations, and so I settled in with the plan for the evening – working my way through the southern Messiers.

In no particular order, I viewed Ms 107, 9, 80, 11, 26, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28. The open clusters (M11 and M23) and nebulae (Eagle, Omega and Trifid) were fantastic, the nebs really coming alive with the OIII filter in place on my 24mm, 68-degree MaxVision (a very close second favourite EP). The Sagittarius star cloud M24 was amazing!

Most of the globular clusters I spotted were fairly small and faint (little fuzzy balls with little detail). There was one, however, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask your help to identify it, which was much bigger, even in the 24mm at x50, it was either M22 or M28 (I can't remember, and had forgotten to take a pen with me to record things as I found them, so had to do it from memory). Anyway, it was very nice, and I'd say a competitor for M13!

I couldn't see any more of the southern sky (trees and hills in the way), so I switched to the Veil and North American Nebulae, and just scanning through the milky way from Cygnus down to Sagittarius for a while with the 24mm EP (with and without the OIII filter). I have to say, just scanning down through the milky way with this EP was an absolute joy. So many clear, bright and sparkly stars! Even just with the naked eye, the Milky way was stunning, with the Cygnus rift clearly visible

I packed up at about 1 (it being a work night), and headed home to write up my session. It was only when I sat down to write it up that I realised what I'd forgotten. As well as several other things, I had hoped to catch M13 as it's so high at the moment, and I also wanted to check out the Dumbbell in the OIII filter. The few hours I had were just not enough! On the subject of M13, at one point in the evening I'd remembered about it, and had a look naked eye. The amount of background stars made it impossible to find Hercules, though, and even with Google Sky map on the phone I couldn't make out the constellation. I made a mental note to try again later, and then promptly forgot.

So, an absolutely magical couple of hours. Messier count now up to 96.

Cheers!

Kev.

I enjoyed reading your report a lot! Some days ago I had a session out and viewed a few of the objects you cited! Awesome! 

I would not worry too much about the Dumbbell or M13.. They are there and will be visible in the next months, whereas Sagittarius is low and won't be accessible. 

In any case, the sky is there and tomorrow and so on! What it matters is to enjoy the time spent observing, and it seems to me that you had an incredible night! :)

Thanks guys. It really does pay to make the effort this time of year. I know it only stays dark for a couple of hours, and it takes ages to get dark in the first place, but it's nice to spend time observing in the (relative) warmth, if nothing else. I do love viewing M13 at this time of year, though, just because it's practically overhead, but I'm sure I'll revisit it again sometime soon.

The big globular cluster you saw was almost certainly M22. M28 is close by, but not nearly so impressive, though on a good night it resolves well. If M22 were placed further north in the sky, it would be a real rival to M13. I last looked at it last summer, low down in my light-polluted sky, and it amazed me by just how bright and easily resolved it was. I saw dozens of stars. Nice report.

I reckon I'll have to find a better viewing site for the remaining Messiers. They're all in that low southern sky area so I'll see if I can find a nice dark spot, perhaps somewhere on Portland, for the remainder. M22 was a real surprise last night, and I agree, a definite rival to M13 if only it was higher. Definitely one to revisit!

Thanks guys. It really does pay to make the effort this time of year. I know it only stays dark for a couple of hours, and it takes ages to get dark in the first place, but it's nice to spend time observing in the (relative) warmth, if nothing else. I do love viewing M13 at this time of year, though, just because it's practically overhead, but I'm sure I'll revisit it again sometime soon.

Dead right! No mothballing of the scope til August ;) I had a great night of globs and planetary nebs last week - though staying up til 1am meant it wasn't the most productive day in work after... The Dumbell in O-III was one of the highlights for me - loads of detail. Saw the Blinking Planetary and Blue Snowball for the 1st time :)

Summer nights - I miss being able to get out there in the summer. Work commitments have made it completely unfeasible, the moon is rolling round again and the weekend weather looks full of cloud.

Personally I love 'em - it might not get properly dark, but there's lots of fun to be had. And for certain objects - the Ophiucus and Scorpius globulars for example, it's the only time of year they are observable. Hoping to get a chance to have another look at those perennially elusive open clusters M6 and M7. From Dorset, on a good clear night, down to the horizon, you stand an excellent chance of seeing them. I've done it from London so from somewhere like Purbeck it should be more than possible.

Happy hunting!

DD

Archived