Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Classic Ortho Eye Guards

DRT

I recently bought a set of BCOs from someone here and when they arrived I was reminded of those awful wing shaped rubber eye guards that Baader use on some of their EPs. I love the EPs but hate the wings so need a different solution.

I read somewhere about trimming off the wing but I suspect this will devalue them if I choose to move them on later.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy normal fold-up eye guards that fit these EPs?

Yep - Amazon £11

Description

Hyperion M43 Thread Protective ring and eyecups (Silicone Rubber)

Other retailers also exist and may supply at higher or lower prices

I have never seen one of these but the pictures always seem to suggest they are not remotely anywhere near the shape of anyones face.

Alan

I think they were designed by this guy...

post-33858-0-67279800-1434180939.jpg

I have never seen one of these but the pictures always seem to suggest they are not remotely anywhere near the shape of anyones face.

Alan

I thought they were OK Alan - I don't look quite like the chap above, close maybe ??? :undecided:

At least you can really easilly flip the "wing" back. The worst ones I've used are the winged Tele Vue eye guards that were supplied with the 2nd generation smooth side plossls. Solid rubber and totally inflexible. I poked myself in the eye a few times with those when I forgot to rotate the eyepiece :embarrassed:

I expect even those have their fans though :rolleyes2:

Hi Derek, I just flipped them down but I'm glad you've found a solution if you don't like them :)

I'm positive you'll enjoy the optics at least, they are literally the same set that John reviewed. I think he did two reviews which are well worth a read :)

Hi Derek, I just flipped them down but I'm glad you've found a solution if you don't like them :)

I'm positive you'll enjoy the optics at least, they are literally the same set that John reviewed. I think he did two reviews which are well worth a read :)

I only had a brief chance to use them in the Lunt 50Ha yesterday but the sky was too hazy to give them a fair chance. I have read John's review and am very encouraged to know that this is the very set that he used given how well he thought of them :smile:

I have picked up a couple of TV Plossls (15mm and 32mm) to fill the gaps in the BCO line-up and intend picking up one or two others (perhaps the 8mm and 25mm) to give me a nice run of 1.25" relatively lightweight glass for both the Lunt and the Polarex 60mm. It will also give me a good chance to compare TV-P versus BCO side by side, albeit without having matching pairs.

Will post some thought later in a new thread.

The Teleskop Express fold-up eye guards have now been fitted to the BCOs...

post-33858-0-00407500-1434851462.jpg

post-33858-0-55773300-1434851471.jpg

Much better than the wings :smile:

I might need to trim half a mm off the bottom of the eye guards so that they fit the recess on the BCOs more precisely to avoid me pulling them off in the dark.

I will be keeping the wings to pass on to the next owner :wink:

Archived