Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pillars of Creation - Visible?

Paul73

Hi Guys

I had an enjoyable "first look of the season" at the Eagle nebula the other night. The star field/cluster was showing really nicely along with some nebulosity. Given the current bright nights, I wasn't expecting much. However, once it gets dark again, is it possible to make out the famous Pillars of Creation?

post-32768-0-59735300-1434107268_thumb.j

*Picture copied of Wikipedia.

I'm quite keen to get a view before they get torn apart by the alleged supernova. Given the normal UK cloud cover, I'd better start looking now.

I've always found the Eagle disappointing visually. The Swan looks almost absudly like a Swan but the Eagle is very soft and vague to my eyes. I've never done very well with it. I'll be interested to read about what others have found.

Olly

Steve,  the Eagle's still good in August and beyond, I'd have said.

Not a target I've picked out to observe very often.  I must admit,  like Olly I find the eagle a bit disappointing visually too specially with its glorious neighbours M8, M17 and M20.

I know the pillars are definitely observable visually but as to whether it can be done from the UK where its position is never very favourable, I'm not sure.

Have to say that 20 inches don't nail it for me. It all looks a bit thin. Trifid, Lagoon, Swan, all are great. The Eagle, well... I'll have another go and get back.

Olly

great...must get a bigger dob!

Have to say that 20 inches don't nail it for me. It all looks a bit thin. Trifid, Lagoon, Swan, all are great. The Eagle, well... I'll have another go and get back.

Olly

Your further south than me Olly so I'm not holding out much hope. I'll give it a bash though :)

Olly

I was waiting out until 3am to bag the triffid & lagoon the other night.  Not a chance!  Either the LP here was so bad or the built up dirty horizon just did not let it all in. Saw both in bins last year in France and they were stunning.  Must get them in a scope soon.  We do have another 1000 years of light years until the pillars appear destroyed don't we?  

Archived