Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh no!

webtubbs

So for the past year the single streetlight (I'm in a small country town) on my street has been out of action and I've been able to simple setup my scope in the front yard. But sometime today the council decided to fix it and my yard is now flooded in light!

Coincidentally, I was thinking about building a platform and pier this morning out the back where I can get very good views, but hadn't quite made up my mind. Foregone conclusion now I guess...

Send them a bill for Photon Management (black out curtains for your light facing windows, all of them), sleeping medication due to photon spillage.

You could always erect a huge silver wall to reflect the light back (preferably with a focal point :) ).

You could probably speak with the council. I had a long story with them that stretched over a period of 6 months of daunting negotiations. They eventually came round, shortened the pole and shielded the light. My garden is a lot darker now.

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

Please note that if this warning seems unwarrented, it's because offending posts have already been removed

Please Mr Moderator  could you not use colours in your posts

I am partialy colour blind and I now have a  headache from reeading your post

( I have partiular problems seeing red )

Regards

Robin 

We can say it again in white then  :grin:

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

http://www.ras.org.uk/events-and-meetings/123

Step 1) Get together for tea and crumpets

Step 2) Pat each other on the back and sing to the choir

Step 3) Write a paper

Step 4) ??

Step 5) Do nothing and profit from membership fees

This is how the professionals deal with light pollution.

Thats 2 useless posts you have made in this thread.

If you have got anything sensible to add to the discussion by all means post it, otherwise I suggest you find a thread where you have something to offer that is worth reading.

Always approach the council, they are usually very human. I was given permission to paint the rear of the shield in hammerite. It does not interfere at all with the forward throw of light I now  have a dark garden. When the bulb is infrequently replaced, the engineers are really careful in replacing the shield, amazing what an odd cuppa will do.

I had two broken street lights opposite my house for several months, these were fixed a week before the recent [ censored ] ?

I'd rather they hadn't bothered.

Dave

Hope this is subtle enough for the mods

as some members don't appreciate the way this thread is being moderated its probably just as easy to close it. Apologies to the OP but you have your fellow members to thank. well done guys

Archived