Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Railway Sleeper Pier Started!

simmo39

Just a few pics of the sleeper pier so far. Got the hole dug and bolted together 2 new railway sleepers. Next task is to get the concrete in. I have already got plates and mounting ring for the head, just need to work out the hows and whys. Should be ready soon!

20150608_111544_zpsicvhgd7j.jpg

20150608_111553_zpsbsjqsx77.jpg

looks good 

i have a railway sleeper pier 8" x 10" thick and i built the shedservatory around it it has been there for 2 years and no movement but i would suggest that you let it acclimatize  before you put the pier adapter on it.

not sure how yours will fair open to the elements and if you havent filed it in i would suggest you pour creasote into the hole to soak into the pier before you concrete to prevent moisture seeping it the end grain.

looks good 

i have a railway sleeper pier 8" x 10" thick and i built the shedservatory around it it has been there for 2 years and no movement but i would suggest that you let it acclimatize  before you put the pier adapter on it.

not sure how yours will fair open to the elements and if you havent filed it in i would suggest you pour creasote into the hole to soak into the pier before you concrete to prevent moisture seeping it the end grain.

Hi. thanks for the tip. I have been coating the bottom of the pier with out door varnish and anything else I can find to keep out the damp. Will be pouring later this week.

where can you buy creosote i thought it was illegal to buy in uk

mark

i would suggest you pour creasote into the hole to soak into the pier before you concrete to prevent moisture seeping it the end grain.

mark

Hi msh1,

JTF up here in The North East.

http://www.jtf.com

They sell it.

Varnish will not stop the damp/water affecting the wood. You would be better off Painting the base with a bitumin product up to about 6" above the floor area. No matter what you do wood will always rot in time if under the ground. Granted it could be years, a lot of years hopefully. Use Sika 1 in the cement. It is a waterproofer specifically aimed at reduction of water penetration. In contact with water / damp, it forms a barrier to further moisture. Not cheap though.

Derek

I use a 6" X 6" oak post, 4' deep hole and held in place with pea shingle, thia allows the wood to breath, it in a Obby and the local ground is silt so its bone dry most of the time, i do check the PA and it need a little adjustment from time to time, should i want to remove the pier its just a matter of sucking the pea shingle out with a hoover........

DSC_9838.jpg

DSC_9839.jpg

I use a 6" X 6" oak post, 4' deep hole and held in place with pea shingle, thia allows the wood to breath, it in a Obby and the local ground is silt so its bone dry most of the time, i do check the PA and it need a little adjustment from time to time, should i want to remove the pier its just a matter of sucking the pea shingle out with a hoover........

DSC_9838.jpg

DSC_9839.jpg

Thats a hell of a hole to dig! I went done about a foot and half before I hit solid clay. Dont think ill go any deeper. Hopefully will get concrete in tomorrow.

mark

i think you can still get it from wicks if not use old engine oil you wont need much just about a pint will do. if you can warm it up then pour it around the base and brush it up to the top of the hole that should will create a water barrier.

i think you can still get it from wicks if not use old engine oil you wont need much just about a pint will do. if you can warm it up then pour it around the base and brush it up to the top of the hole that should will create a water barrier.

got gallons of that ,you can get creosote substitute apparently

mark

Archived