Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Observing With 70mm Travel scope.

Hi all

For a couple of months now i have been observing the Sun with the 70mm Trave scope and Hershel wedge. Just reading through some threads today has made me think of one question regarding solar observing with this scope. 

Q: should i remove the dew shield at the business end of the scope or leave it in place.

I'm not sure if the dew shield in place causes heat to build up around the objective lens. I'm not sure if the dew shield blocks out a certain amount of light.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

post-5361-0-16862500-1433099050.jpg

No heat build up, for example your house windows don't get warm on a sunny day, towards the point of focus that is another matter. You should not use a Petzval refractor for this reason.

Dew shield is just like observing stars, you don't see it.

Might create a certain amount of 'turbulence' in front of the lens as it's a black shield that will get hot out in the Sun , given the option I'd remove it for Solar viewing with the wedge.

Ive enjoyed solar observing so far and not noticed any ill effects. Just a thought sparked off in my mind today about the dew shield on my scope. Ive never once thought about removing it before today. 

Next sunny day i will remove it and see if it makes any kind of difference. I'm not convinced that i will notice any difference.

All good questions ... I can't answer but how are you finding the hershel ? I'm thinking of trying one on my 71 Zenithstar

Do it. If you buy from FLO............the essential ND 3.0 filter comes built in.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/lunt-white-light-herschelsolar-wedge.html

Also invest in a solar continuum filter as it greatly improves the view of sun spots and surface granulation. 

I'm so happy i finally invested in solar observing gear. I could have done it slightly cheaper if i shopped around more or just went with FLO. 

No regrets though.

P.S~~Be 100% sure that the wedge is compatible with your 71 Zenithstar. 

With my black Equinox 120mm scope I usually have the dew shield extended if it's not windy (partly in case there is a drop of rain or if some birds do target practice on my scope, or on cold mornings, to avoid dew/frost while waiting for Sol to appear). If it's windy, I don't pull out the dew shield, as the scope is then too prone to wobbling all over the place and dew is unlikely anyway, and hopefully the birds are not in the mood :grin:

I haven't noticed that the seeing is much different either way. Although my scope is black, if it's facing the sun while on the mount, then the sun isn't hitting the black much, only the reflected light. It's only if I have the scope out and not on the mount and the sun 'sees' a lot of the black that the scope seems to warm up, so I try and avoid that.

That's my two cents anyway.

Archived