NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New SkyTee II question

Chris

It's moved home to another owner Chris. It was just a bit too much for me to handle unfortunately and aggravating a back injury a few months back did not help the situation :embarrassed:

It's a superb scope though and I hope it's new owner is enjoying it :smiley:

Sorry to hear that John but you've probably done the right thing :) It's a lovely scope and all but knowings worth crippling yourself for.

This is the thing isn't it, when aperture goes up weight and size seem to go up more! Although I do find SCT's go some way to bucking this trend :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your new Skytee! You're welcome to have a look at mine to do a comparison. Mine is also a bit stiff but that can be a bonus if you want to just push the mount rather than using the slo mo controls. I have also done a couple of other mods you may be interested in. PM me if you're interested.

Rob

Hi Damian, i should have been a bit more specific and less cryptic, apologies to all. The mods are the same as already mentioned, ie: the additional saddle on the counterweight end like yours i believe (additional holes were tapped), replacement thumbscrews on the existing saddles to replace the poor aluminium ones. i also use narrow counterweights from an old CG5 on the vertical counterweight shaft to prevent interference on the pillar - i posted pics of the counterweights in question on this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241606-skytee-2-top-saddle-counterweights/#entry2622122

I also have the ADM saddle upgrade on one side.

Rob

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your new Skytee! You're welcome to have a look at mine to do a comparison. Mine is also a bit stiff but that can be a bonus if you want to just push the mount rather than using the slo mo controls. I have also done a couple of other mods you may be interested in. PM me if you're interested.

Rob

Hi Rob, Thank you :)

I think after mounting up the scopes and having a play the stiffness might be a good thing like you say. I think I was just worried because I've not had this with any other mount, maybe it's on purpose?

I've now received one ADM saddle to upgrade the one on the side, and I'll see how it goes I think before making any other changes :)

I think I'm going to really like this mount if it frees up just a touch more which I'm guessing it will with use :) 

Hi,

Before I heard about Roy´s trick, I got a Skytee II for my 4" F12 Refractor, as this mount ticks all the right boxes in terms of capacity and and features. However, there was a lot of "slop" in the Az-axis, even locked, so it was returned after 3 days, and I got a Sabre Az mount in stead. Ultra smooth, and no slop in either axis at all. Fortunately the AZ Sabre fits on the same EQ5-ready tripods, like my Berlebach, and the same saddle mount (35 mm distance between the M6 screews) as the Skytee II. So the "Skytee 2 ready" ADM saddle fits perfectly as well on the Sabre.

Maybe I was unfortunate to get a lemon - but I now understand why this mount got some mixed reviews from users.

Best Regards,

Anders

Archived