NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

grab and go scope

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the wider field views would be nice and different to your existing 8" it's a mak?

Though you might find the CA not to your liking, I find I can live with it in my baby ST80 and my better eye pieces minimise it.

PTFE?.

The main issue with the focuser on the Heritage is that some numpty thought it would be a good idea to spray paint/powder coat the threads inside of the focuser. We all know that didnt work well. What i did to fix the issue was to put an EP in and rotate it up and down until such a time that all the paint was stripped off of the threads. Took a while. I'm sure there was an easier way to do it. 

Its smooth now but the hexagonal focuser is still the main issue with the scope. I'd love to replace it with a rack and pinion focuser, but i'm not sure thats possible.

I have a Celestron C5 and use an AZ4 mount on a smaller tripod. With a Celestron 25 mm x- cel lx eyepiece I could see pretty much the whole of The Double Cluster. I know that you are looking for new. But I paid £150 used,but as good as new. It was well looked after.

Martin.

I think the wider field views would be nice and different to your existing 8" it's a mak?

Though you might find the CA not to your liking, I find I can live with it in my baby ST80 and my better eye pieces minimise it.

Thanks, that seems a goid reason for startravel with different type of view to my sct.
Is CA a real pain, dont think ive suffered from this as yet. Also would my current set of ep s serve we will with this or  would i need to uograde? That would be a contributing factor in my decision. 
Thanks
Al

I have a couple grab and go scopes and they get used more than any of my other scopes. Despite having small aperture the speed I can set up and tear down makes it less of a chore so even if I am tired I know I can get a hassle free 10 mins in.

I currently have a ST102, ST120 and 150P on AZ4 for my grab and go. This replaced my ultra g&g SLT60. I also had a 80mm Antares sentinal which is a well corrected achromat and sits great on a camera tripod.

I don't mind small apertures as I know I have bigger scopes if need be but if I only had the choice of one scope for grab and go / main scope I would go with the 150P on AZ4.

I am liking the idea if startravel 102/120 on the alt az.

I also like look of vixen set, 

Nah need to draw a line somewhere, well last time i was looking at skymax 102 ior 127 and ended up  total curveball with meade lx90 acf 8inch. ..

Al

You can use the same eyepeices depending on size.

For example my ST80 is 1.25 inch all my eyepeices are that size and fit in all my scopes.

For example the ST102 might be a 2inch eye peice, so to use 1.25 if that is what you have already you need an adaptor.

The only thing you can't do is go the other way use a 2 inch eye peice in a 1.25 inch focuser unit.

CA, well you have a 8" telescope with I assume no CA so that is your planet killer, a smaller refractor then whilst (if not ED etc.) will have CA if accepted that it is not your planet tool then wont really show in the eyepeice for general stars I find and the Moon still looks pretty nice in my ST80. The eye sees a lot less CA then a camera does I have found.

I have the ST120 for my grab & go. It is bulletproof, impervious to sand, snow & dog slobber..Plenty of aperture, yes some ca but only really affects brighter objects (planets).. It is well suited to the AZ4, they occasionally appear in the classifieds or AB&S.

I have a couple grab and go scopes and they get used more than any of my other scopes. Despite having small aperture the speed I can set up and tear down makes it less of a chore so even if I am tired I know I can get a hassle free 10 mins in.

I currently have a ST102, ST120 and 150P on AZ4 for my grab and go. This replaced my ultra g&g SLT60. I also had a 80mm Antares sentinal which is a well corrected achromat and sits great on a camera tripod.

I don't mind small apertures as I know I have bigger scopes if need be but if I only had the choice of one scope for grab and go / main scope I would go with the 150P on AZ4.

Thank you,

is there much performance difference between your 102 and 120, i assume they take the same amount of timr to set up and is there much or a notable difference in size/weight for storage etc.

also, is the alt az 4 far superior to alt az 3. I realise it will be better but is it worth for a secondry/grab and go. Reason i ask is that the ota with alt az 3 was only 20 more than tube on its own.

i supose i could get the set up initially , see how i get on, then upgrasde as alt az will probably give me a better return.

one last thing, is yours the heavier or lighter alt az 4?

thanks

al

For me personally, I find that my little Vixen 110 vmc on porta mount 2 tripod excellent as a grab and go scope . It is light portable,well made and show's great lunar and planetary detail on jupiter and Saturn. Cost a bit more than £200 , though the tube assembly is under that amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO, would this be considired a decent grab and go. Or im i better going for short refractor/heritage as ive mentioned earlier.

I do like the look of vixen, slightly more than i intend paying at the moment.

al

• 3 weeks later...

Im now strongly thinking of the vixen 110 vmc on mini porta, would this be recomended over the others i have mentioned. Also iis this quick set up and low/no maintenance.

Thanks again all and starcluster for the steer!

al

I can also vouch for the VMC110, it's a cracking little portable scope. Can't comment on the mini porta though, I've always used mine on a AZ4. I've put my vixen on ABS though as I've just not had chance to use it.

The small cats are great grab & go scopes,  no ca, but with a couple of caveats. They take a bit of cooling down, need a dew shield and have a narrow field of view. I used to have a 102 mak, but replaced it with a ST120 which has a wide field view.(but does suffer some CA).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived