NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Attempt at M42

Some more data from earlier in the year I've just got around to looking at. Here's my first try at the Orion Nebula.

17772050565_23b64f6c39_b.jpg

Taken with an old Takumar 200mm lens at f5.6, it's about 40 minutes of 75 second subs. I used StarTools to reveal the core and sharpen the nebulosity. Fairly pleased with it, there are hints of the dust surrounding the nebula and I've caught the edge of IC434 on the left. If I'd framed it corner-to-corner I may have been able to squeeze in the Flame & Horsehead, as I did in this 135mm shot.

15338996053_b3ee6bf466_b.jpg

Have to think about whether to to invest in a Canon 200mm L lens come the Autumn.

Playing with it a bit more, there is a lot more of the extended reflection and emission nebulosity in there than I'd realised. Here's a more blinged version.

17747879526_306a0f76da_b.jpg

Any thoughts on the two versions would be welcome. I'll also have a go at reprocessing my 135mm shot - it's a faster lens and I used longer subs so there must be more in there too.

I particularly like the second image the best. Most pleasing to let the eye wander around.

Very nice images! I prefer the first version, as it looks more natural.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go back to this and try to produce something between the two versions. I like the way more of the background is showing in the second one but I think the overly blue background is distracting.

Archived