TAL 100RS & Alt-Az 3

Greetings Stargazers

I have a recenly purchased Skywatcher Alt-Az 3 Aluminium tripod & mount and fancy getting a TAL 100RS refractor. The spec says the mount will take up to 5kg and the scope is a little less than this. Can anyone tell me if this is an OK combination?. I only really want to use it as a quick setup scope.

Many thanks

The capability of a mount/tripod is not dependent solely on the weight of the instrument. The overall length mut also be considered. Arelatively long telescope like the Tal 100 will be affected more by wind, vibration, or knocks, and will also magnify disturbance more. The quoted satisfactory weights will only be more nearly achieved by F5 instruments, or SCTs.

Echo comments above, a long frac of 4" will  not sit easy on an az3, one of the issues you would have is being able to sufficiently tighten the declination control. I temporarily put an st 120 on an az3, had to take a mole grip to tighten enough!!

As above, but would also add that the Tal100 weighs 5kg, mine does with eyepiece, so it's at the limit of the az3 at best. There's a nice skytee on abs (not mine) which will hold it well if put on a decent tripod. Definitely buy the Tal though, you won't regret that!

I've actually tried using a TAL 100 on an AZ-3 and the experience confirmed the views expressed above - it's too wobbly to be much use !

The AZ-4 or an EQ5 would be much more suitable mounts for the TAL 100.

if it is the tripod you have then perhaps consider making sure the tal is as balanced as you can get it. Perhaps hang something weighty from the middle of the tripod. Consider adding a counter weight bar to the AZ3, you will find posts on this.

Archived