NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Brand confusion

Hello all,

I just got this scope from a seller on the forum (I added the Orion 50mm finder to it) and I am confused on the branding

Skywatcher 80ED Black Diamond

I see it advertised as either "SkyWatcher Black Diamond 80ED f/7.5" or "Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro"

The names are different but the specs are the same, they also physically look quite the same. On the Skywatcher website there is only the "SkyWatcher Black Diamond 80ED f/7.5" advertised so I wonder where the "Evostar pro" come from ? are they the same scope ?

Haaaa an Evostar with a paint job then ? :)

I am a complete noob I lack the 'historical knowledge' of the different scopes and brands ... Not so long ago I could not tell an SCT from a Newt so ... Still a lot to learn ;)

The "Pro" tag seems to be the name they coined for the range of ED refractors plus the 150mm and 180mm maksutov-cassegrains when they had the gold / off-white colour scheme.

My guess is it is all sales spiel at the end of the day. I constantly laughed at V6 technology in Dyson vacuums and Gillete Mach3 turbo razors amongst others. Do these people even know what a turbo is ?? Either way they are all buzz words to make us the consumer think we are getting more than what we are. Black diamond or PRO as long as the spec is the same they are going to be the same scope. Synta's favourite is often a colour change to sell the same scope under new allure.

My guess is it is all sales spiel at the end of the day. I constantly laughed at V6 technology in Dyson vacuums and Gillete Mach3 turbo razors amongst others. Do these people even know what a turbo is ?? Either way they are all buzz words to make us the consumer think we are getting more than what we are. Black diamond or PRO as long as the spec is the same they are going to be the same scope. Synta's favourite is often a colour change to sell the same scope under new allure.

They do sell 5 blades razors now ;) Gillette 'Fusion' ... I wonder what 'Fusion' has to do with shaving.

To add to the marketing drivel. I have a feeling the predecessors were called "champagne" rather than "gold" :)

Did they ever do the ED80 etc. in blue? Or was that reserved for the achro refractor models?

James

Just to add to my confusion some of them have the microfocuser gold/silver mine had black/silver... I looked carefully at the tube, no markings or model number :huh:

Bah, not a big issue :) I am still happy with that. Can't wait for first light !

The only drawback is that the focuser is 2" so I'll need to update the prices on my wishlist as 2" is more expensive. Fortunately I am starting out so I do not own a lot of 1.25" items ... only the 1.25" Bresser 3x barlow will have to go :)

Yeah, I'd guess if they did one that colour they'd have done all the ED models the same.  Can't think that I've ever seen one though.

James

James, i see you have an ED 80.............how do you rate it?

I think I'd say it deserves the reputation it has.  Handy little imaging scope, though a little let down by the focuser.  Not sufficiently that I've felt compelled to change it as yet though.

Sadly however I've had little time for imaging for a while.  Too much other stuff going on between work, the brewery build, oaCapture, kids' swimming training and competitions and general home improvement type stuff :(

James

As a first imaging scope, I hear a lot of good things about it.

My previous scope was a 6" SCT and I did mostly planetary with a webcam, so this will also be a first experience with:

a refractor

2" EPs

DSLR

guiding

DSO's

So a whole new ball game !! Lots and lots of reading and questions on the forum to come ... This should keep me busy for a while ;)

I think they did the ED100 in blue, so one would guess the 80 was the same, in fact i think Ant mcewan had a blue one

I had a blue tube ED100 and a matching ED80 at one point. Both were great scopes but I really wish I'd hung onto the ED100 :embarrassed:

Archived