Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whether you like refractors or not.....

GazOC

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should n't too bad for false colour at that focal ratio, it works out pretty much the same as a 127mm f9 scope.

One of the scopes I got to look through last June was a similar 6" refractor on a similar tripod with a homemade Alt-az mount. There wasn't any false colour to speak of, that I noticed.

You need a tall setup with a long refractor like this one

of not you end up on your knees when looking at things near the zenith.

With my 6" f8 refractor, I have to sit on the ground for everything that isn't fairly close to the horizon. I bought a ground-sheet from our local camping shop.

Sometimes I get my old relector out, just for the novelty of being able to observe standing up!

Kieth,

Have you seen those extension pieces you can put in between the tripod and the mount? They give a the eyepiece a pretty good height no matter where the scope is pointing. The guy in the link in the first post is using one.

Gaz

Ian,

Yep, its a pretty easy setup its just a shame it gets used a bit less now I've got the 150mm Mak the views are very similar but the Mak is just that bit easier to use. The frac is still a "keeper" though.

James,

It's standing proud but as usual it's pointing at clouds..... :lol:

Archived