Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Telescope - Dobsonian

Hi Everyone

I'm new to astronomy and after much deliberation i decided to get myself a telescope

I've ordered a Skyliner 150p Dobsonian

I have read some very favourable reviews about this scope and as it is primarily for viewing (not astro-photography) it sounds like a good choice

Also it was in the sale!

Another pro in my eyes was its a Dob and comes on the standard mounting, so should be easy to set up and use

It comes with 2 eyepieces 10mm & 25mm

My question is really is there anything else i need? or can i jump straight in?

Does anyone have any recommendations for star maps or finders to help navigate? and any must read books/websites to get going?

Cheers for any help :)

Will.

Hi  Will,

Warm welcome to SGL. That's a great choice of scope for starters, especially at a sale price.

A couple of books to help you round the sky are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'. When you have ten mins download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free. To be found here  :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  ..

Give yourself a chance to use the scope before buying further eyepieces etc, find a local astro club ad go along to their meets, and see what others have and what accessories may suit you best.

Enjoy the new scope.

Hi Will and welcome to SGL.

The scope you have/will have is indeed a very nice choice. When it arrives and you assemble it, you are pretty much ready to go. The first obvious thing to do is check the collimation. Loads of great advice here about how to do it and what not. You really shouldnt worry about upgrading eyepieces or anything in the immediate future. Just get used to using your scope.

You can download a program called Stellarium which is free and its very useful. A great book to buy is Turn Left At Orion. I believe the latest version includes objects to find and be seen through Dobs. 

Thats about all i can say. I'm sure other Dob owners (known here as the Dob Mob) will be along shortly to give more advice.

Follow your own advice and "jump right in". You could do with a star chart and a red light head torch to read it by. The Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas is a good one and one that I use myself. You could also add a Telrad finder

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

lots of people like to add a riser to the telrad

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-riser.html

Yes, jump in but do expect to look to additional eyepieces at some time soon.

The supplied ones are to enable you to see something, not necessarily see something well.

Otherwise a decent book that you follow so you can where a few things are.

Yes, jump in but do expect to look to additional eyepieces at some time soon.

The supplied ones are to enable you to see something, not necessarily see something well.

Otherwise a decent book that you follow so you can where a few things are.

I disagree. For someone who has never had a scope before and has never looked through any brand of EP, and has nothing to compare the stock ones to, the views will be great.......for now.

That was my choice of first scope, too - along with an awful lot of other people. You'll be a happy bunny.

One thing is that, if you've not actually seen one 'in the flesh' you may be surprised at how big it is! I was.

Definitely jump right in. The above advice is all good. I think you'll find the 25mm eyepiece (EP) gives you the better experience out of the two. The 10mm is generally thought to be inferior but, nevertheless, if you've never looked through a scope before the magnification it provides will blow you away on the moon and, perhaps, other easy targets.

You've found this forum - and that's a great start. It allows you to tap into a formidable pool of knowledge and experience. You'll find the answers to almost anything you want to know or need help with right here, and, often, astonishingly quickly. There are sometimes conflicting opinions on subjects but that's fine; you can learn through watching the posts as they come up.

One warning, though - when, as you almost certainly will - you want to upgrade or add to your eyepieces, be careful. The advice and suggestions will fry your brain and, most likely, drain your wallet dry! The Loungers take an almost perverse pride in being able to spend other people's money ...

Most important advice, I think, is have fun with your new scope and your new hobby.

You have received some great advice, as is usual on this forum, I would just add, get the finder scope aligned before using the scope and try and find something to site on, it makes for a much better observing experience if you are comfortable at the eyepiece.

Hi everyone,

Firstly thanks for the warm welcome!

Really looking forward to getting the scope now!

I will download stellarium later today and have a play around with it.

Is collimation difficult? I've heard/read various reports, some say it's way other say it's hard! Any recommended guides or YouTube videos?

As mentioned above, i've not used a scope this good before so I think the included EP's will be good for a while.

I have a friend who is professor of astronomy at a very well known university so I think I'll be chatting to him a lot in the coming few weeks for tips and advice too!

Thanks again and expect some more posts from me in the future asking some probably very daft questions as I get my head around using the scope etc!

Will.

You have received some great advice, as is usual on this forum, I would just add, get the finder scope aligned before using the scope and try and find something to site on, it makes for a much better observing experience if you are comfortable at the eyepiece.

Sorry should read sit

I have a friend who is professor of astronomy at a very well known university so I think I'll be chatting to him a lot in the coming few weeks for tips and advice too!

With this forum AND a pro at hand you'll be the best advised beginner for many a mile. You're sorted! :-))

I repeat, have fun - 'cos that's what it should be all about for amateurs.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new scope.

I use an ironing stool to sit on when at my scope, saves getting back pain, and makes long sessions far more comfortable. The ironing stool I find is perfect, seconds to adjust the height, light and easy to carry.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-71325-Multi-Seat-Niveau-Silver/dp/B000VJE5SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430950348&sr=8-1&keywords=ironing+stool

Frank 

Archived