Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New NEQ6 PRO - any advice from experienced users of this mount for imaging :)

As already mentioned, first get to grips with the mount then start fiddling with it. You may not need to do anything and you won't be sure that if something isn't right that you haven't messed it up yourself.

Within the industrial control world RS232 is by no means an obsolete standard and provides a rugged reliable link over much longer distances than usb.
Chris.

Couldn't agree more. USB is technically superior to RS232 but I will be able to interface to a TTL/RS232 device for many, many years to come...even from a simple microcontroller long after support for a fleeting bespoke USB driver has faded. I don't mind USB to 232 converters too much, but even some of them become obsolete (try using a Cirrus Logic USB1 device on a modern PC). How long do you think it will take to get a Mac/Linux etc. driver for a bespoke Synta/Skywatcher USB device? At least what is there now can be ported to almost anything.

but now I've had it a few days the actual mount quality is pretty shocking... the polar scope cover is almost laughable, does the job I suppose, holds the weight, relatively cheap... but compared to the likes of Vixen it's not great. :rolleyes:

Add iOptron to the list of poor quality, probably on par with Synta...but as you say you get what you pay for and kinda does the job...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need a suitable EQDIR connector to go between the USB port on the laptop and the handset port on the mount to use EQMOD. It converts the USB voltages to lower TTL voltages. Don't use a standard USB to serial cable, even though the handset port is a standard 9 pin D type serial cable you will fry the controller board if you do. HITEC sell one via many retailers or you can make one yourself with a few parts following instructions on the EQMOD site.

The alternative is to use the handset in 'PC Direct' mode where it just converts voltages in a similar manner to the EQDIR unit. EQMOD guys warn that they don't support it as they have no access to know what the handset is doing, but many people report it works. Bear in mind that the handset is 'dumb' in this mode and you do everything in terms of setup via EQMOD. A common mistake is to do the polar alignment and star alignment via the handset and the switch to EQMOD which won't work. All the brains is either in the handset or in the EQMOD software and they don't talk to each other so pick one method for each session.

You probably want to get the hang of everything before thinking about PEC. When you are ready EQMOD has an AutoPEC feature that records the PEC curve as you are guiding via your guide software (using ASCOM pulse guiding) and once ready it will just start applying PEC without you having to do anything else. Again documents are on the EQMOD site. You can also use separate software to prepare PEC curves such as PECPrep. You capture the raw data from guiding logs, e.g. using PHD guiding.

Would also reccomend you join the Yahoo EQMOD group as updated software is released there frequently, whereas the main site only has stable versions which are updated less often.

You can do all alignment etc with handset and then switch to pc direct. So long as you use handset to swing scope to what you want to shoot first. Then move to pc direct and then turn on sidereal. Bit if a faff but that's what I tend to do.

I won't comment on software because I keep it simple in my setups. However, you should certainly lose those guide rings as suggested earlier. They are, as guide rings go, very good and I have some. However, they will certainly move over time and introduce cone error which will, in turn, confuse your software. You should use solid, entirely stable fixed tube rings to mount your scope. Adjustable guide rings are now 100% obsolete. They go back to guide cameras of low sensitivity which struggled to find guide stars. This is no longer the case.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

You can do all alignment etc with handset and then switch to pc direct. So long as you use handset to swing scope to what you want to shoot first. Then move to pc direct and then turn on sidereal. Bit if a faff but that's what I tend to do.

That's a bit like entering a race and stopping to tie your shoelaces together after the starting gun; it adds to the challenge but is questionable if you want to win. Presumably you have to switch back to the handset mode every time you need to move the mount, do a meridian flip, etc.?

For imaging, the best combination is EQMOD and plate solving software (e.g. Astrotortilla). Takes a bit of setting up at first, but now all I do is drop the mount on my tripod marks, spend five minutes doing polar alignment, pick a target and leave the plate solver to do its job. Two minutes later I am bang on target. No need to spend time aligning to stars or fine tuning to get the target centred.

Really interested in this topic, my main aim is imaging.

I'll be ordering my NEQ6 Pro next month and starting my setup from scratch (knowing basically nothing). I was planning to use the EQDIR cable to connect the mount to the PC and ignore the SynScan handset, thought at first I'll use the handset in standalone mode to get some experience.

For imaging, the best combination is EQMOD and plate solving software (e.g. Astrotortilla). Takes a bit of setting up at first, but now all I do is drop the mount on my tripod marks, spend five minutes doing polar alignment, pick a target and leave the plate solver to do its job. Two minutes later I am bang on target. No need to spend time aligning to stars or fine tuning to get the target centred.

Does this mean the nightly PA, after setting the feet/legs in a known position, is fully automated? That sounds rather fantastic! What additional hardware is required? I assume you are just using an EQDIR adaptor directly attached to the mount, rather than through a handset?

Really interested in this topic, my main aim is imaging.

I'll be ordering my NEQ6 Pro next month and starting my setup from scratch (knowing basically nothing). I was planning to use the EQDIR cable to connect the mount to the PC and ignore the SynScan handset, thought at first I'll use the handset in standalone mode to get some experience.

Does this mean the nightly PA, after setting the feet/legs in a known position, is fully automated? That sounds rather fantastic! What additional hardware is required? I assume you are just using an EQDIR adaptor directly attached to the mount, rather than through a handset?

You won't be disappointed in the mount well aside from the build quality, forget the synscan handset for computer connection buy the hitecastro usb to serial thing it's great, I don't know why someone would go through the handset with EQmod now.

You have to do nightly PA if you move the mount but if not it should stay in the same place and polar aligned... ?

I won't comment on software because I keep it simple in my setups. However, you should certainly lose those guide rings as suggested earlier. They are, as guide rings go, very good and I have some. However, they will certainly move over time and introduce cone error which will, in turn, confuse your software. You should use solid, entirely stable fixed tube rings to mount your scope. Adjustable guide rings are now 100% obsolete. They go back to guide cameras of low sensitivity which struggled to find guide stars. This is no longer the case.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

Thanks, I kind of knew that before I bought them  :embarrassed:  I was buying some bits from that supplier they looked great and I guess I thought they would be solid enough...

I will order some 90mm cnc tube rings.

Amazing pictures blurring the lines between proffesional/amatuer astronomy.

You won't be disappointed in the mount well aside from the build quality, forget the synscan handset for computer connection buy the hitecastro usb to serial thing it's great, I don't know why someone would go through the handset with EQmod now.

You have to do nightly PA if you move the mount but if not it should stay in the same place and polar aligned... ?

Being a mech engineer the build quality will probably destroy my soul but I will stay the course! OK I will continue with my plan to use EQDIR for computer control, the SynScan can be used for the first while to get me going, or if I get stuck. I found a cracking guide of how to setup all the software so I'm fairly confident this won't pose much of a problem, I'm also pretty good with software due to many years of 'douchebaggery'.

From what others have told me on the forum, I should only need to do a quick PA and then star-align each night (not sure how many). I'm happy with this, if I can get the 'setup' phase down to sub-10mins then that's grand. Obviously at the start this isn't going to be the case.

I'll be getting the mount about 3 weeks before my second child arrives so I will likely only get a couple of weeks playing with it before it gets put on hold for a few months :( though having a sister for my son :)

Being a mech engineer the build quality will probably destroy my soul but I will stay the course! OK I will continue with my plan to use EQDIR for computer control, the SynScan can be used for the first while to get me going, or if I get stuck. I found a cracking guide of how to setup all the software so I'm fairly confident this won't pose much of a problem, I'm also pretty good with software due to many years of 'douchebaggery'.

From what others have told me on the forum, I should only need to do a quick PA and then star-align each night (not sure how many). I'm happy with this, if I can get the 'setup' phase down to sub-10mins then that's grand. Obviously at the start this isn't going to be the case.

I'll be getting the mount about 3 weeks before my second child arrives so I will likely only get a couple of weeks playing with it before it gets put on hold for a few months :( though having a sister for my son :)

Congratulations on the second child. Set up properly for the first time last night with the new stuff took around 40mins to get everything set. Aligned through stellarium, PHD running and guiding and APT sequence of lights. Reasonably happy with the quality of the 300 second exposures I got. 

Aligned on a star in Stellarium pressed ctrl 3 on 3 stars made it better but it was still quite off target after each slew.

Congratulations on the second child. Set up properly for the first time last night with the new stuff took around 40mins to get everything set. Aligned through stellarium, PHD running and guiding and APT sequence of lights. Reasonably happy with the quality of the 300 second exposures I got. 

Aligned on a star in Stellarium pressed ctrl 3 on 3 stars made it better but it was still quite off target after each slew.

I'm not going to dip my toes in the guiding world just yet. Planning, since I'm a complete beginner, to focus my attention on the moon. Ultimately I want to use Stellarium and my DSLR to do the alignment, using a gamepad for the changes, then use EQMOD to tell the mount which tracking mode to use.

Do you have any idea why it was running off after the alignment? That worries me a bit.

No automatic PA sadly! Having drilled marks in the concrete patio means I can get through the EQMOD PA process fairly quickly, three to five mins depending on the knees. I can get about four arcmins to the pole without any further effort, which is fine for a short focal length imaging if you are guiding. Getting more accurate PA is harder due to the poor altitude adjustment mechanism. It can be improved if you look in the DIY forum. I usually end up making alignment worse so quit whilst I am ahead.

The handset is still "mint in box" as they say. Bought the mount with EQMOD in mind and very glad I did. The mechanicals aren't great but no way my budget would have stretched to something appreciably better.

No automatic PA sadly! Having drilled marks in the concrete patio means I can get through the EQMOD PA process fairly quickly, three to five mins depending on the knees. I can get about four arcmins to the pole without any further effort, which is fine for a short focal length imaging if you are guiding. Getting more accurate PA is harder due to the poor altitude adjustment mechanism. It can be improved if you look in the DIY forum. I usually end up making alignment worse so quit whilst I am ahead.

The handset is still "mint in box" as they say. Bought the mount with EQMOD in mind and very glad I did. The mechanicals aren't great but no way my budget would have stretched to something appreciably better.

Do you still need to use the polar scope when using your drilled marks, or is this redundant allowing you to move onto the finer adjustment? The poor altitude adjustment, this isn't in reference to the bendy bolts is it?

Also I meant to ask, what are you using to view and control during the EQMOD alignment process? Looking at the scope using a gamepad for control, or doing all from PC?

I'm not going to dip my toes in the guiding world just yet. Planning, since I'm a complete beginner, to focus my attention on the moon. Ultimately I want to use Stellarium and my DSLR to do the alignment, using a gamepad for the changes, then use EQMOD to tell the mount which tracking mode to use.

Do you have any idea why it was running off after the alignment? That worries me a bit.

Not sure could be anything very new to the mount and Eqmod, probably user error more than anything. Amazing software.

Do you still need to use the polar scope when using your drilled marks, or is this redundant allowing you to move onto the finer adjustment? The poor altitude adjustment, this isn't in reference to the bendy bolts is it?

I always use the polar scope, but it saves time as Polaris is already in view and so minimal adjustments needed to get done.

I replaced the bolts straight away but the problem is the angle the bottom bolt heads on the lug, plus I suspect it has gouged the soft metal. This makes the adjustment quite stiff and fine control harder as one quarter turn doesn't always produce the same movement in the scope probably due to the bolt head moving around in the grooves it has created.

Also I meant to ask, what are you using to view and control during the EQMOD alignment process? Looking at the scope using a gamepad for control, or doing all from PC?

I use a wireless XBox controller. It is easier to do the set up than jumping up and down to the laptop to make adjustments. It is doable without, as all you need to do is rotate the RA to get the reticle aligned to the twelve/three/six/nine o'clock position.

I always use the polar scope, but it saves time as Polaris is already in view and so minimal adjustments needed to get done.

I replaced the bolts straight away but the problem is the angle the bottom bolt heads on the lug, plus I suspect it has gouged the soft metal. This makes the adjustment quite stiff and fine control harder as one quarter turn doesn't always produce the same movement in the scope probably due to the bolt head moving around in the grooves it has created.

I use a wireless XBox controller. It is easier to do the set up than jumping up and down to the laptop to make adjustments. It is doable without, as all you need to do is rotate the RA to get the reticle aligned to the twelve/three/six/nine o'clock position.

I found a series of guides on youTube for the NEQ6 that details every step in detail so I'm getting more confident I can manage this. First month is going to be observing only so should be able to just work with the mount and scope for now :)

Upgraded bolts are definitely on the cards, I've the link stored so will order them soon after the scope arrives

I found a series of guides on youTube for the NEQ6 that details every step in detail so I'm getting more confident I can manage this. First month is going to be observing only so should be able to just work with the mount and scope for now :)

Upgraded bolts are definitely on the cards, I've the link stored so will order them soon after the scope arrives

Just a tad off topic but how do you find your Orion 200mm? I have one too.

Just a tad off topic but how do you find your Orion 200mm? I have one too.

I'll let you know next month! It's my dads and I haven't used it in well over a decade lol

It seems to get good reviews, not a amazing scope but plenty capable. I only plan to use it for a starter then chance to something more...er... well not exactly sure yet. Whatever I do will be aiming for imaging as that's my main hobby during daylight hours

• 3 weeks later...

For what its worth Skywatcher's new AZEQ5-GT mount comes with a built in USB port but I wouldn't take this as an indication that skywatcher have at last "seen the light" and made a PC friendly mount.  It would seem that skywacher have only provided the USB port as a means to apply motor controller firmware upgrades - No one has managed to use that port to actually control the mount, be it using EQMOD or celestron drivers.. Those selling this product seem happy to list the USB port as one of the mounts key features and as a consequenct there are a few disapointed customers out there.

Chris.

Hi Chris, sorry to hijack this posting - my message below has nothing to do with it at all, but I couldn't find the means of sending you a personal message.... I hope you don't mind.

My name is Ross Taylor - I'm in New Zealand and you've been recommended as someone who could help.. and I've been reading your postings on a similar issue and I think you're the man to be able to tell me how to fix a problem, if you're able and willing? I'd appreciate any ideas. I am very new to all of this.

The other night, I had the clutches engaged on my 2007 model eq6 and had a 18 kg payload on it. I was slewing remotely and unfortunately it hit the mount.It continued slewing, although the telescope didn't move because it had hit the pier. I was using EQMOD at the time.

Since then, using plate solving, my telescope is aways significantly out on RA, even if I solve the image, apply a correction and re-solve. I thought it might be a problem with EQMOD, so I decided to try doing an alignment using the synscan controller and then trying to find an object - but again, it no longer finds the object....it's always about 8 - 15 minutes out. I'm wondering if something has been damaged? I have tried resetting the home position. I have just tried using the handset to do a 3 star align, then whilst unparked, to resync encoders. The problem remains. I'm not sure if I did it correctly. I had the scope unparked, plugged the synscan handset in, did the 3 star align (which it said was successful) and then did the resynch encoders. Is that the right way of doing it? Or am I completely wrong, lol ?

Do you have any ideas at all please? Would love to hear from you. I think EQMOD is terrific - it's been a real pleasure to use.

Many thanks

Ross

A random query about this...

Does this mount come with a PSU? I assume not, I do know which I need. Also, on FLO it says you need a 2A PSU for the Synscan handset, is this additional to the mounts PSU? I assume it is the same 2.1mm pin?

The handset plugs into the mount and is powered by the mount via the PSU, So no need for additional power. The FLO power pack will do the job fine... I got one from Harrison Telescopes as it was a bit cheaper and they were in stock when I needed one, but pretty much any 12v 5a supply will do it. The mount draws 2a I believe, but I think most of the PSUs come as 5a as standard.

The handset plugs into the mount and is powered by the mount via the PSU, So no need for additional power. The FLO power pack will do the job fine... I got one from Harrison Telescopes as it was a bit cheaper and they were in stock when I needed one, but pretty much any 12v 5a supply will do it. The mount draws 2a I believe, but I think most of the PSUs come as 5a as standard.

I had one in work that was 5a so just got an extension for the DC side since I'm running it through a waterproof junction box, also had to adapt from the 2.5mm variant to the 2.1 that the EQ6 uses.

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to checking the alignment of the polar scope, used a tv aerial about 150m away and was very surprised that in one 180 degree rotation it only drifted off the circle by about 2x thickness of the line that makes up the circle in the reticule...hopefully this means getting it spot on should be a simple task.

Archived