NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Outreach with EAA

HiloDon

Hi All,

With all the cloudy skies we had here the last few weeks, I thought I would set up a portable system and go up the mountain to the Mauna Kea visitors center. Every evening that have volunteers that set up scopes and let visitors view the skies. They also let you bring your own. It's usually clear at about 9000' altitude. I decided to bring my 50mm mini scope that I mount on my Meade LS8. I used the Lodestar X2 mono with a NB Ha filter.

It was quite an experience. Even though I was off to the side, many visitors came up to see what I was doing. They really enjoy seeing the emission nebulae on the screen and can't believe it's only a little 2" scope. Orion was still visible so seeing it, the HH and Flame was a treat for some. It struck me that EAA will be way to go in the future of outreach. Right now the VIS doesn't use it, but I think it would be a big hit if they did.

Later I got some capture of the southern DSO's. One I haven't seen before was the Running Chicken Nebula. Not sure I can see a running chicken, but it's nice anyway. I included my wide field capture of Omega Centauri taken with the NB Ha filter.

Don

post-36930-0-11661900-1429812852.jpg

post-36930-0-25652400-1429812871.jpg

post-36930-0-69591500-1429812888.jpg

Wonderful results from a tiny scope Don. Do you think results were noticeably better at that higher altitude?

Thanks, Robert.

No, I've gotten similar results here at 600'. But, we have very dark skies here, too. Unfortunately, we get our share of cloudy skies as well.

Don

Tremendously good results from your 50mm scope Don. The contrast you're getting in Eta Carinae is really something.

Like Orion25 I have to find my way to Hawaii one day if you can sort out the weather. Failing that, its Tenerife (not such a bad option!). Here in the north of Spain we've had a really wet winter and spring so far but I'm hoping that will change soon...

Martin

Well done Don.

Good to see someone else posting Southern Objects  :laugh:

I have NEVER met anyone who knows why it is called the Running Chicken. We look at it most nights and we search for anything that even slightly resembles a running chicken but it still evades us  :tongue:

It has been debated by many people for many years, and yet there is still no answer  :grin:

Some suggest that the whole nebula looks like a running Chicken, but when looking at the whole Nebula in a widefield scope it looks more like a Duck with a decapitated head   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:​ 

Amazing captures Don  :shocked:

I must admit I can't see how it is called the Running Chicken either!

I remember the visitors centre when I was at Mauna Kea - such a magical place (the summit was amazing too). I imagine EAA would be brilliant for the visitors centre given how many people tend to be there. I was at a private observing session off to one side but saw the large crowd at the main centre.

Maybe next time I am out there they will be using LL? Lol! Hey if they need some help setting it up and doing a public demo / star tours I am always available for hire... (wishful thinking I know...)

Thanks Joves - I'm not sure if this makes sense, but your picture made me feel like when someone has to show you the answer to a brain teaser that everyone else seems to find simple but yourself!  :laugh:

Archived