Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 & M82 with ED80 / Atik One

Sleepy Kiki

Great image I have a similar setup and similar data on this object that I'm trying to process I have a couple of questions as I have only ever imaged with a dslr before.

Do you combine the RGB in Photoshop straight from the alignment/stacking software or do you stretch each channel 1st ?

Do you process the combined RGB as you would a dslr image then add the streched/processed ha to the red channel?

Do you process the lum image then add it to the RGBHa image as a luminance layer?

All tips would be very helpful as at the moment I'm finding it harder to process ccd images than dslr ones. I think that it's just the order of the operations that I'm getting wrong

Thanks

Darren

Darren

------------------------------------------------

Twitter: @SalAstroSoc @Astronut1639 www.salfordastro.org.uk

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

Hi Darren

I stretch each channel in photoshop and then combine them by pasting each greyscale image into the respective RGB channel.

(I combine the HA into red at this point but I think you can do it after combining by extracting the R channel into a new file)

Afterwards its colour balancing general processing like gradients and luminance sharpening so similar to DSLR.

CCD is still new to me too as I only got my Atik in November so I'm still learning, and I had a bit more trouble with colour balancing on this target more than others but I put that down to imaging over different nights of varying conditions

With the CCD I find there is a lot more room to process images before the noise levels becomes an issue and it constantly surprises me how far I can push it. There maybe more steps involved but compared to my modded DSLR the results were night and day for me so stick with it and it'll reward you.

Daz, I'm loving my Atik One. After 3 years of imaging with a DSLR I was ready to get onto the next step of the imaging ladder.  I know you were one of the first to get one so have been following your feedback with interest. My only regret was not getting one earlier  :smile:

Cheers I get very strange results when I stretch each RGB separately over in the LRGB Processing thread it has been suggested that you just combine the RGB files then stretch

I'm going to give that a try. I got quite good results on this target with my dslr

049e434a609b690aa9c447560569251c.jpg

I'm surprised by how much I'm struggling with the RGB version

Thanks

Darren

------------------------------------------------

Twitter: @SalAstroSoc @Astronut1639 www.salfordastro.org.uk

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

Archived