Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollutions blues (or should that be oranges?)

bish

I grew up in a small village with excellent skies. There was one street and the few street lights went off at midnight. I took for granted that you could see the Milky Way. I had a small telescope as a kid but no proper star charts so spent most of my time looking at the Moon, Venus and Jupiter. I had read about the Andromeda 'nebula' but with no proper star chart couldn't work out where it was - I don't think I realised it would be just about naked eye.

Now I have a 10" scope and access to any number of star charts, planetarium software, up to date online services etc, but live under orange skies. My main interest is nebula and galaxy hunting. Not ideal really! I was finding the whole light pollution aspect a bit depressing. having been without a telescope for many years I didn't want to go back to being purely an armchair astronomer.

To combat the light pollution blues I have changed my observing ways (other than getting to dark sites as much as possible!)

The most obvious things were to dig a little deeper in my preparation. Just when I had thought I had exhausted all the DSO's with my 250p I would have an exceptionally clear night and with the help of a UHC find something I didn't think I would be able to see. I have seen the veil with a UHC on really good nights when it is overhead. I also now have an O111.

Although it sounded boring at first, I now also follow a variable star program. It can take more effort, and it's not visually so exciting but is just as rewarding as DSO hunting.

I used to project the Sun with my bins, but buying a fairly cheap white light filter for my 127 mak has opened a new area of observing. Yes, Sun spots are interesting to follow!

I didn't realise how many asteroids could be tracked with my scope until spreading my observing net. Like variables, they are not as visually exciting as DSO's and can be hard work to find - but just as rewarding.

Of course once I have gone through all of the above there is still the Moon, any planets that are around and often a bright comet somewhere to be seen.

If I ever move back to dark skies no doubt I will lean more towards faint galaxy and nebula viewing - but would definitely keep on with the other stuff too.

I think the beauty of finding comets and asteroids is that they are difficult to find but they are active bodies. I know galaxies are active but to our point of view, nothing changes for millions of years apart from an odd nova or supernova.

With comets and asteroids you can actually follow this thing moving through space, seeing how fast it is moving by comparing the background stars, and see actual material coming off of the comet in the form of the tail.

They are really a fascinating thing to observe.

I'm really glad you've found a way to beat the light pollution, or rather get around it, something more and more of us are going to have to do as housing estates seem to expanding in all directions (much like the universe!)

Matt.

The most obvious things were to dig a little deeper in my preparation. Just when I had thought I had exhausted all the DSO's with my 250p I would have an exceptionally clear night and with the help of a UHC find something I didn't think I would be able to see

May I ask, which UHC are you using? Thanks x

I have made a recent return to backyard observing, I have restrictive views, but a reasonably good southerly aspect and Jupiter has been the primary influence. Good for brighter globular and open clusters to. I also use my allotment, a five min walk and occasionally the Newcastle Town Moor, principally for lunar observing with binoculars, has also been good for observing comets. Much of the once orange is now white. Home observing is of course convenient and easy, but I live in a city and so it has become second nature to take the big dob out to the countryside, at the drop of a hat,  whenever possible. 

May I ask, which UHC are you using? Thanks x

It's the Skywatcher UHC. It may not be the best, but it was relatively cheap and has helped. I also have an Antares light pollution filter which helps on certain DSO's. Never as good as having less light pollution though.

Even trying to catch M42 is a right b*tch in my location! At least we can use the other half's parent's decking as a viewing platform a couple of miles out from town centre.  Really interested to see if South Downs gets Dark Sky status

Sometimes a few miles can make a difference. I moved 2 miles from the top of a hill to the bottom a few years ago and now have all of the general air pollution to contend with. The transparency was better before and I was above a lot the street lighting.

It'll be better when one of us gets driving, though I doubt that'll be for a while yet... At least when we start mortgage and house shopping, I've already told him, we WILL be having an obsy in the back garden, so suburbian south facing, flat garden sans tall trees.  He said that's cool, as long as there's a warm room so he can have a fag outside without getting soaked when it rains lol! Can't wait for July and October - stargazing in Devon and Galloway :D

Archived