NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

satellite cluster

hi there i am getting confused i have just been on stelerium to see where to find the satellite cluster tonight it says at 20.55 its at  +234 degrees / +32 degrees so if i point my telescope to polaris and turn my telescope 234 deg and tilt it to 32 deg will i see it or am i doing something wrong cheers for any help thanks stephen

Since that is the Alt&Az then I think you are correct, Although Polaris is about 1 degree off of North so depending on the pointing accuracy and the field of view of the scope it may or may not be in view.

From what I can tell the cluster referred to is the group of star in the centre of the Rosette Nebula. :icon_scratch:

Which is likely more well know - if I am correct.

NGC 2244 or Caldwell 50.

What is the scope?

If a refractor or reflector I would expect sufficent field of view, if a Mak or SCT then more difficult.

If goto then tell it the RA/Dec or simply Rosette Nebula.

To star hop it seems to be Bellatrix to Betegeuse and keep going. :grin:

Also be careful Stellarium may be using time as UTC whaeras you are on BST at present, there may be a 1 hour difference.

I think Stellarium simply uses the PC clock and presumes that this is UTC, which at present it is not.

You may have to look at 21:55 BST not 20:55 BST (I think)

Hi Stephen, can't blame you from trying more difficult objects but the Rosette is a good DSO to look at, alternatively, I would choose M44 - the Beehive Cluster tonight as it will be easier to find, just line up Jupiter and have a good look, then vere over to the right and up a bit by about 1 degree and have a look at the Beehive, a great open cluster.

Good advice on the Beehive.

I'll ask an obvious question: Do you have an azimuth setting circle and an inclinometer on that rig?

My reason for asking is that those 76mm Newts are rarely equipped with that "stuff".  If you're just using a compass for az and "whatever" for alt, you're likely wasting your time and are better off just star-hopping.

At f/9.5 with an H20 eyepiece, you're going to have a very narrow field of view... making the satellite cluster pretty difficult to observe.

Clear, Dark Skies

I find the setting circles on any mount are not exactly great, I don't think they put a lot of effort into them and are more their for the added features list.

Star hopping is a good skill to learn, and I will backup M44 - The Beehive Cluster as a good target, I had a look at it the other night and it was a very nice view.

Matt.

How about M38, M36 and M37 in Auriga?

If you've a clear view to the west and don't leave it too late.

Failing that, if you do leave  it too late, after 11pm ish, M13 in Hercules rising in the east should be a splendid one to find. :)

Let us know how you get on.

However my advice would be to forget about coordinates and refine your star hopping technique. As been mentioned above, they are rarely too accurate and will lead to frustration.

Matt.

didnt get on as well as i thought i would had good clear dark skies but couldnt focus on all the things i wanted to so i did some star hopping best way to go i thought

didnt get on as well as i thought i would had good clear dark skies but couldnt focus on all the things i wanted to so i did some star hopping best way to go i thought

Keep at it and pick the easier targets to boost your confidence. M13 is a good one to aim for, fairly bright and nicely positioned not too far from obvious guide stars.

Archived