Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how to clean asi sensor

Hi folks:

I need to clean my camera sensor, and I read that you have to blow the dust off first but I am not sure which type of alcohol (or better product) is best for cleaning?

Hoping someone will kindly recommend what's best  :confused:

Thanks again

Cheers

Roger

I'd use sensor swabs, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Durable-6-Pcs-Wet-Sensor-Cleaning-Kit-CMOS-CCD-Cleaner-SWAB-for-Camera-DSLR-/201317044211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2edf6e4ff3

I can't say whether it's the best solution but it's what it's designed to do.

I think I remember reading the already wet ones weren't as good as ones you add alcohol to but I've not had any problems with the pre-wet types.

I've used swabs and Baader Optical Wonder Fluid before now, though it's mostly just diluted isopropyl alcohol I believe.  I found it easier to unscrew the entire front of the camera body to clean the sensor and I think that's what ZWO recommend, but it's perfectly possible without.

I found the easiest way to test if the sensor is clean is to plug the camera in and run a capture program in fairly low light, tilting the camera back and forth.  Without a lens in place the sensor is pretty much evenly illuminated which makes the dust bunnies a bit easier to spot.

James

Thank you for your kind advice gentlemen.  The camera is an ASI 120mm. Could I use isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips then?

Also That is a great tip for checking dust bunnies.

Much obliged

Roger

I would be very careful about what grade of IPA you get, as some of the chemist sell IPA which is only ~90% pure, and I would be worried about what smears that other 10% is going to leave on the sensor.  I say this not based on cleaning CCD sensors, but on using IPA for cleaning records.  If people shy away from using Boot's IPA for making up record cleaning solutions, I would definitely avoid it for cleaning a CCD sensor.

Thank you for your kind advice gentlemen.  The camera is an ASI 120mm. Could I use isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips then?

Also That is a great tip for checking dust bunnies.

Much obliged

Roger

I have used Q-tips and baader wonder fluid but I found it was easy to snag the q-tip on something in it's internals and leave behind a cotton strand, too much hassle for me.

Thanks all:

I don't have suppliers any where near here so I went to the pharmacy...got some isopropyl rubbing alcohol and and I used Q-tips, carefully blowing air before and after.   then tried James' great suggestion.... running a capture in low light, and success!!!! Nice not having to wait until next imaging session to see if it worked.

No more debris on the sensor.  I was nervous about this at first but remembered an old friend's saying 'The Lord hates a coward!' and so I ventured forth and am really glad to get this sorted!

Advice much appreciated

Roger  :happy1:

Archived