Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 & HEQ5

Davie

Well before I upgraded from a HEQ5 to an NEQ6 I looked for a some pictures to compare the size of the two mounts, yes the NEQ6 is bigger but by how much? I didn't see very many so I decided to take a couple of pictures of both mounts to try and show the difference. Excuse the stuff in the background :)

I still have both mounts so if anybody wants a picture of this or that let me know and I'll try and get it done :)

The heads

Heads

Shorter tripod on the left is the one for the NEQ6 and the taller one on the right is for the HEQ5

Tripods

didn't have the saddle fitted to the NEQ6 as you may have noticed :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Useful comparison photos :smiley:

I've owned both mounts but not at the same time. The EQ6 head seemed a real lump to someone like me who is used to lightweight alt-azimuth mounts :shocked:

Glad I searched the forum before starting a new topic...

I'm currently looking at buying a new computerised mount to accept an old Orion Europa 200 8" scope which is currently on a damaged EQ5 mount. My original plan was to buy the HEQ5 Pro SynScan but I'm noticing for an extra £200 I could get the NEQ6 Pro SynScan.

I am primarily going to be using this for imaging and would realistically never see myself using anything larger than a 10" 1000mm scope, with this in mind what would your advice be?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

A 10" scope is big. What is the weight of this 10" scope plus everything else you'll be putting on it?

James

The current scope is 8" but I may go to 10" in the future. I calculated the current weight of all gear to be a 6.5 KG, for the 10" scope I will go for carbon construction to keep the weight down. The maximum payload (from my reading this doesn't need to include counterweights) of the HEQ5 is 11 KG for imaging. Hopefully all of what I have said is correct!

The 5 and 6 have the same front end look in essence. The handset and how to use it is EXACTLY the same. The 6 is just much more robust and sturdy.

Keep asking the questions.

James

That gives me more confidence, I really don't mind spending the extra as it's less than 25% of the total price. I'm fairly certain this is going to be a hobby I spend many years at since it combines my interest in space and also my love of photography. I'm also terribly anti-social so sitting out in the shed on my own sounds great :)

It would cost £40 to send via a 48 hour courier who would pick up from their home; shame they won't post. The extension tube is worth £50, the cable £30. It's an excellent price!

But fair enough if you want to buy new.

Most people upgrade the altitude bolts, and some people even do the belt mod.

If money is no issue, the AZEQ6 is lovely; it already has belts and a far superior elevation mechanism. Its mount head is lighter than the NEQ6, and it also works in alt-az mode if you want when it can carry two scopes.... Also exactly the same handset as the other two mounts, and still suitable for a serious begininer.

James

It would cost £40 to send via a 48 hour courier who would pick up from their home; shame they won't post. The extension tube is worth £50, the cable £30. It's an excellent price!

But fair enough if you want to buy new.

Most people upgrade the altitude bolts, and some people even do the belt mod.

If money is no issue, the AZEQ6 is lovely; it already has belts and a far superior elevation mechanism. Its mount head is lighter than the NEQ6, and it also works in alt-az mode if you want when it can carry two scopes.... Also exactly the same handset as the other two mounts, and still suitable for a serious begininer.

James

LOL I didn't say no issue! £1k is as much as I can justify, a few days ago I was only going to spend £500

Second hand AZEQ6s go for just under £1000. No need to spend £50 on upgrade bolts, or a £150 belt mod... Screw in power connection so no worries about accidential power loss. Reduced backlash, reduced periodic error...

I don't honestly know how much performance improvement the AZEQ6 gives above the NEQ6. You might need to start a new thread somewhere in the imaging sections.

But don't let me sway you at all.

James

Archived