Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 & HEQ5

Davie

How do you do tracking without the handset? Perhaps youre one of these advanced Auto-guide folk I aspire to be like!

There is a load of stuff you still need to learn, it all seems very confusing at first, and I am still trying to get  my head around it all.

Any mount with a motor on the RA axis can track. You don't need GOTO or to be guiding to track. If you don't use the handset, you use the computer to tell the mount to track in RA. I think most people who use the PC to drive the mount don't use the handset between the PC and the mount, but this can be done.

James

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 2 options, use the handset via a pc to handset cable, or buy the EQMod adapter and go direct PC to Mount...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Reviving this...

My PC has a serial port, can I simply install the software/driver and plug the mount directly into the PC?

EDIT:- Answered it myself with some Googling

"The mount itself does not accept RS-232 level signals and so a piece of hardware (EQDirect) is required to convert the output of the serial port to TTL levels."

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/prerequisites.html

You will need an EQDIR module between the PC and mount.

Do you have a link to where to buy it? I looked but couldn't find it on FLO

Unless it's much cheaper than the normal usb one there's not much point

Hi Peje,

Here is the link: -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Don't think you will find one much cheaper anywhere else.

The other alternative is to use the RS232 firmware update lead supplied for the handset.

This plugs in to the computers RS232 port and then into the firmware update socket on the handset... the handset connects to the mount using it's normal cable.

You then set the handset to PC-Direct mode (you will find it in one of the handset menu's) and you can then use the PC to control the mount using ASCOM and EQMOD.

The only downside is that one or two functions are a little slower (which may/or may not cause a problem with other software such a PHD or the like)... it depends a lot on your PC as to how much of an issue this will be.

The EQDIR route is by far the best though.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Peje,

Here is the link: -

Don't think you will find one much cheaper anywhere else.

The other alternative is to use the RS232 firmware update lead supplied for the handset.

This plugs in to the computers RS232 port and then into the firmware update socket on the handset... the handset connects to the mount using it's normal cable.

You then set the handset to PC-Direct mode (you will find it in one of the handset menu's) and you can then use the PC to control the mount using ASCOM and EQMOD.

The only downside is that one or two functions are a little slower (which may/or may not cause a problem with other software such a PHD or the like)... it depends a lot on your PC as to how much of an issue this will be.

The EQDIR route is by far the best though.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Ah thats the one I was looking at, going to just use this lead, I thought there might be a cheaper, non-usb, version. It seems crazy to pay 30 quid for something that converts 5v signals to ~15v then back to 5v...but I guess it's worth it for an easy life lol

Archived