Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces - advice needed for beginner

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qualia......thanks, but nothing to clear up!

My post, slightly humerous, fails depending on how/who reads it?

I still have the same views ( pun intended )

You seem to have as many problems with my constant retorts as I do with you constantly posting bst's are a better option than high end ep's so I'll do us both a favour in future and ignore it.

rest assured though, my comments have always been from the point of view of a member here at sgl (which I am first and foremost) and not from the point of view of auspom the mod.

wishing you clear skies

Auspom

High end EP`s come on the general market from time to time, but why they are being sold, is something in most cases we are not privy too, there may be many reasons. For example, the original purchaser had intended to hang on to his/her beautiful expensive eye piece for the rest of their Astronomy lifetime, personal circumstances suddenly change and they are forced to sell up. So what was intended to be a keeper/lifer is now on the open market. There must be numerous other reasons why this happens, but it does and it enables folks, with not so well lined pockets, to take advantage of acquiring a good quality eye piece at considerably less that the original cost. Long may it continue :)

Peace and Love, Guys!

Okay, maybe not Love, but just Peace! 

This thread seems an "Eyepiece Soap Opera"! 

There is no reason to argue like this. This is a forum about our loved hobby and the rest is just opinion. We are free to express our opinions (until a limit of course) but there is no point to argue about these or impose them in this way. 

There are already so many arguments in this world that we do not need others, particularly arguments about "what the best eyepiece is".

A tele vue eyepiece can be a "life-keeper" for someone, a temporary investment for someone else, and just a eyepiece for someone else again. The same is valid for a BST or whatever else. 

What matters is that these eyepieces, when inside a telescope focuser, allow us to see some of the beauties of this universe. The choice of one eyepiece w.r.t. another one is a subject choice depending on preference, money, tastes, etc.

This comment does not refer to any of you in particular, but to make all of us think that we are here for pleasure, for learning and for sharing high quality information. 

The original poster asked for advices on eyepieces for beginner, and instead received an argument.. 

The original poster asked for advices on eyepieces for beginner, and instead received an argument.. 

It's what threads on eyepieces do, lol! I seem to recall quite a few, er, debates on other forums too...

I kinda like the passion of it all, but it does sometimes seem to descend into overt justification why a particular make/ep was chosen/not chosen. And sometimes, I wonder if that's less about the views through em :)

Hmmm, I think if I had to sell all of my 'premium' eps (again) due to 'life', I would have no qualms about going for the BSTs again as they do seem to work very well with the 200p (both the f6 & f5 versions).

I do also have the Baader zoom, which is very good, but, overall i'd, personally, choose a few BSTs to cover the same range.

Also the 32mm Pannaview, which one ep I wish I had not moved on at all!

They don't cost a great deal, but, they are worth every penny in this scope (200p) and could be all that you need for a long time!

Again, as Charic, among others here have pointed out, our eyes all all different and you will, ultimately find your own favorites!

Oh, and get a Telrad finder and a RACI finder and a good chair to sit on and..........................etc etc, he he!

Doc

Archived