NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best Way to Mount Telescope on Equatorial Mount

I hope this doesn't seem to frivolous, but when I got my used scope, it was clear that it wasn't ideally fitted in its rings. The atachment point for a camera or guidescope was aligned with the viewfinder, for example.

Also I've noticed that, when fitted the way round I got it, one control stalk points towards the mirror end, the other towards the aperture. I know I can swap the stalks end for end.

I realise it may all just be a matter of preference, but is there an accepted way of setting up a scope that means the controls fall easily to hand and the viewfinder and finderscope are convenient to use at all most) times?

Just looking at puctures of scopes is making me more confused...

Stub.

Newtonian reflectors can be a bit of a pain to set up as you look into the side of the top of the tube and everything seems to get in the way!!  You can rotate the tube in its rings to get the best eyepiece position (and balance the scope by sliding the tube within the rings) and to get the finder scope out of the way.  You may have to put the slow motion knobs in whichever way seems best for the scope/eyepiece position that you are using.  Eventually you will get more familiar with your scope and things will get easier - just persevere and it will work out.

I had a small Newtonian equatorial.  I did a lot with it but using the finder scope was a pain. I always had to move round the scope from the eyepiece to be able to look through the finder.  Now I realise I should have got a right angle finder scope so I didn't have to move from the eyepiece and/or a red dot finder located at the bottom end of the scope so you could point it like a gun.  I do think straight through finders at the top of a Newtonian are particularly useless.

I had the same issue with the big N. Why the adjustment peg was on the other side I'll never know.  Or maybe it's a conceptual thing.

The embroidery rings idea was one of the best tips I ever got on here. It works brilliantly and is very cheap. With these in place just slacken the tune rings slightly and you can rotate the tube to put the eyepiece in a comfortable position.

Ahgreed - it's the look through finderscope and get to eyepiece before its too late dance...

> embroidery rings

Brilliant idea! Time to go to Hobbycraft...

Thanks for all the ideas. I may also swipe the 'stalks' off the Bresser's EQ1 and then I will have them pointing in all directions!

Archived