NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you make stuff up when talking to people?

jnb

I don't see how having to tell someone a 'sea' doesn't have water in is dumbing something down? How is the average person to know it is lava? After all, they are in no better position, viewing it with the naked eye, than the so called geniuses who called them seas in the first place, because they thought they had water in... The average person probably doesn't read up on the composition of the Moon. If you hear the word sea the only reference you have is to water. If anything, it is having to clear up a misconception caused by a mistake in the first place!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how having to tell someone a 'sea' doesn't have water in is dumbing something down? How is the average person to know it is lava? After all, they are in no better position, viewing it with the naked eye, than the so called geniuses who called them seas in the first place, because they thought they had water in... The average person probably doesn't read up on the composition of the Moon. If you hear the word sea the only reference you have is to water. If anything, it is having to clear up a misconception caused by a mistake in the first place!

OK, i'll give you that one. I just find that when explaining anything astronomy related to people who dont know about it frustrating because i want to use words and terminology that makes perfect sense to me but they are lost. So i find myself explaining things (maybe not in dumbing down terms), but in general layman terms..............

OK, i'll give you that one. I just find that when explaining anything astronomy related to people who dont know about it frustrating because i want to use words and terminology that makes perfect sense to me but they are lost. So i find myself explaining things (maybe not in dumbing down terms), but in general layman terms..............

I know, it's like telling my missus "did you plug it in" when something doesnt work, it goes straight over her head!

Dunno about make stuff up... But I do try to avoid one neighbour for a few days

after the latest "Brian Cox". Genial guy. So enthusiastic! But sadly manages to

get totally the wrong end of the stick re. 90% of it. Best just nod and smile? :p

He is (apparently) a "Health and Safety" consultant - But his real ambitions are

to use this scientific expertise to sell *revolutionary* Alternative Energy ideas.

Look out World! :D (Hey, he may well make millions. And I certainly don't!) ;)

I have a friend with obvious signs of NPD (Narcissistic personality disorder), every sign actually but if anyone says anything "But everyone tells me how wonderful I am."

in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power,  prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process.

People who are diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy.

Everyone tells him how great he is at everything, how he's always a natural and, how he's always 100% correct. Every conversation has this stuff included, it gets so tiring.

Deja Moo

The sense that I've heard his bull before!

I taught him an old mathematics trick I learned as a young kid. I'd told him how my teacher would never reveal how he did it and how it took me years to figure it out. Three months later he came back with my story as his own and tried too show me the trick.

I'd rather the truth any day unless, entertaining my son and making him laugh, then, it's "If you can't baffle with brilliance, dazzle with bull".

Archived